Jeep Wrangler JK: How to Refurbish Faded Fenders and Bumpers

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
The Jeep Wrangler is equipped with plastic fenders and bumpers, but for good reasons. The exterior components are designed to be easily removed and replaced. Since the Jeep is designed for off-roading, it's designed to take quite a beating. This simple DIY will show you how you can make the plastic exterior components shiny again. However, this procedure will make them shiny for a few months at a time, but it is much cheaper than replacing them with brand new ones. You can always paint them any color you want, but this article will cover how to temporary bring them back to life. Read on to learn how you can brighten up your Jeep Wrangler's fenders and bumpers.

Fender-Flare-by-Heat-Gun-114953.jpg

Figure 1. Jeep Wrangler's fender in progress.

Nov-12-Fender-116211.png

Materials Needed
  • Heat gun
  • Cleaner
  • Rag
Step 1 – Clean components
The first step is to use a cleaner and try to clean it as much as you can. Sometimes the salts come off easily as you spray cleaner and wipe it off. Do this on all four fenders as well as both front and rear bumpers.

005-114959.jpg

Figure 2. Clean the fenders and bumpers.

Step 2 – Use heat gun
After you've cleaned them as much as you can, use your heat can to restore them. This process is slow and time consuming, but the results are well worth it. Use your heat gun slowly and move along the fender; you will see the faded color change as you go over it, and don't stay too long after it turns shiny. The heat gun produces roughly 1,000 degrees, so you don't want to stay too long on one area, or you will end up melting the fender.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-09-at-10-03-06-AM-114961.png

Figure 3. Use your heat gun slowly and steadily.

Step 3 – Use protective cleaner
This procedure doesn't last forever, which means it will eventually fade again. Your best bet is to try to lengthen the shine for as long as you can. Most forum enthusiasts recommend a product called "303 Aerospace Protectant." This product provides a layer that protects the components from UV radiation and salts. Simply spray it on your fenders and bumpers, then gently wipe it around.

303-aerospace-protectant-11-114963.jpg

Figure 4. Use fender protective product.

Featured Video: Removing Graying From Jeep Wrangler

This may be the best test of fender flare restoration methods and chemicals. I have researched this extensively for general automobile exterior plastic restoration. And successfully used the winning method on various makes and midels of vehicles. Including the TJ.

Long story short - plastic dye is the way to go. Forever Black and another dye are detailed in this long term test. He uses multiple weeks and months of Florida sun, rain and he washes them with standard car wash. He also tests everything from peanut butter to the heat gun method.

I included much more detail at this link. Watch all three of his videos. You will be convinced too.

https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/long-term-faded-flare-restoration-test.31504/

I used a plastic/vinyl protectant mixed with a little bit of motor oil. Let it soak in over night. Then wipe dry. It appears to work pretty good, but I'm kind of a hack sometimes. Let me know.