Jeep Wrangler JK: How to Change RER to RHR for MyGIG Head Unit

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
The MyGIG is a solid unit, and a nice add-on by Chrysler to its Jeep Wrangler vehicles. Between navigation and satellite radio, there are plenty of options for keeping you informed and entertained on the road.

1c-117998.jpg

Figure 1. Jeep Wrangler MyGIG heat unit.

But if you’re finding yourself a bit frustrated by an older unit that’s simply dated and in need of an upgrade, here’s how you can do it yourself at home.

Nov-23-MyGIG-118991.png

Materials Needed
  • Flat head screwdriver
  • Phillips head screwdriver
Step 1 – Remove radio
Using a flat head screwdriver, pop the dash off the face of the radio. Remove the panel gently by pulling forward. There are four 7mm screws–remove them and pull the radio out. Unplug all wires without damaging them.

2c-118000.png

Figure 2. Radio surround popped off.

Step 2 – Run jumper kit
Open glove compartment, pull down drawer, un-hinge door to drop it to floor—this will give you access to the Uconnect module.

3c-118002.png

Figure 3. Drop the glove box enough to run jump cables through.

Disconnect the two cables going into the Uconnect module and plug them into your new radio’s jumper kit.

Close the glove compartment.

Step 3 – Install RHR radio
Plug in the existing radio harness; if you are using the aforementioned jumper kit, this is where you connect the new wires (do not connect the existing Uconnect harness—it’s now useless if you upgraded to the jumper kit).

4C-118005.png

Figure 4. Connect the harnesses.

Plug all wires into their appropriate connectors (marked accordingly on the rear of the RHR radio)—this includes AM/FM connector, GPS, and USB connector.

6c-118012.png

Figure 5. Push hard unit back into enclosure.

Slide the radio into its hosting slot, re-install four screws, and snap face plate back into place.

7c-118010.png

Figure 6. Snap surround back into place.

Now run through the menu and adjust the settings, so that your navigation is set up in the appropriate state, radio settings are saved accordingly, etc.

Hi Chris, I'm think of replacing my stock radio with something similar and have a question about Uconnect. I know 1 cable provides power to the USB port in the console. what does the other connection do? Where would it go in the new head unit? Been googling and havent been able to find anything about what that connection does.
Thanks.

Hi Chris,
I'm doing something similar in my 2008 JGC swapping out my RER to RHR. Will I need that jumper harness you mentioned? Did anything significantly change with Uconnect for the RER to RHR or can I simply reconnect existing cables to new RHR unit?
The MyGIG is a solid unit, and a nice add-on by Chrysler to its Jeep Wrangler vehicles. Between navigation and satellite radio, there are plenty of options for keeping you informed and entertained on the road.

View attachment 112624
Figure 1. Jeep Wrangler MyGIG heat unit.

But if you’re finding yourself a bit frustrated by an older unit that’s simply dated and in need of an upgrade, here’s how you can do it yourself at home.

View attachment 112625

Materials Needed
  • Flat head screwdriver
  • Phillips head screwdriver
Step 1 – Remove radio
Using a flat head screwdriver, pop the dash off the face of the radio. Remove the panel gently by pulling forward. There are four 7mm screws–remove them and pull the radio out. Unplug all wires without damaging them.

View attachment 112626
Figure 2. Radio surround popped off.

Step 2 – Run jumper kit
Open glove compartment, pull down drawer, un-hinge door to drop it to floor—this will give you access to the Uconnect module.

View attachment 112627
Figure 3. Drop the glove box enough to run jump cables through.

Disconnect the two cables going into the Uconnect module and plug them into your new radio’s jumper kit.

Close the glove compartment.

Step 3 – Install RHR radio
Plug in the existing radio harness; if you are using the aforementioned jumper kit, this is where you connect the new wires (do not connect the existing Uconnect harness—it’s now useless if you upgraded to the jumper kit).

View attachment 112628
Figure 4. Connect the harnesses.

Plug all wires into their appropriate connectors (marked accordingly on the rear of the RHR radio)—this includes AM/FM connector, GPS, and USB connector.

View attachment 112629
Figure 5. Push hard unit back into enclosure.

Slide the radio into its hosting slot, re-install four screws, and snap face plate back into place.

View attachment 112630
Figure 6. Snap surround back into place.

Now run through the menu and adjust the settings, so that your navigation is set up in the appropriate state, radio settings are saved accordingly, etc.