Jeep suspension questions

Jeremy loya

Hey everyone,

I got a great deal on at 2012 Sahara with only 26k. It’s my first Jeep ever. Got a rubicon standard spring lift and installed Fox 2.0 shocks. Stock control arms, rear track bar, and sway bars. My off-road performance is pretty good but I can feel there a limitations. The ride is much better than stock but it gets pretty rough sometimes both on and off-road. I’m new to all the suspension info and I am looking to make the performance better overall. Does anybody have any ideas or advice to share that could steer me down the right direction?

Absolutely. Before looking at anything else, check your tire pressure.

Your tire pressure should be around 26-28 psi (believe it or not) for on-road driving. Tire pressure makes an astounding difference in how a vehicle rides both on-road and off-road.

more then likely the tire shop aired up to max PSI and that is why you should go lower. Like Chris said it will make a huge difference in ride quality. At 40 PSI your tires are so firm that they aren't absorbing any bumps its just your shocks doing all the work. i have 35s and roll on 25-28 PSI with fox shocks and its pretty darn smooth

Reactions: Jeremy loya
Just remember unless you reset your TPMS the light will be on if the pressure is lower then what the TPMS is set for. You reset them with a Programmer or I believe the Dealer can do it for a arm and a leg.

Reactions: Jeremy loya
Where does the 25-28 PSI come from? I got the tire from the shop at 40psi. I’ve been airing back up to that every time.

40 psi is from idiots at the tire shop who just air it up to whatever they think they should (or take the sidewall psi maximum too literally).

26-28 psi comes from really world experience, chalk tests, and not over-inflating a tire. Unless of course you like really, really firm rides, in which case, keep running 40 psi (y)