Is my starter actually bad?

Atamis

2012 JKU with the v6. I assume its my starter having problems, but after taking it out i'm wondering if its something more.

Long story short, whenever i turn the key, it would work, I could hear the starter, but it sounded like it was just grinding into the flywheel instead of meshing. I got it out after much struggle (thread galled) and sure enough the front of the teeth are ground down a bit from hitting the flywheel and turning.

Is it a starter problem or something else that would prevent it from meshing? The plastic took a hit from something and spins freely, but I doubt its enough to not make it mesh.

IMG_20240817_131912507.jpg

I've never had a Jeep starter out yet but it doesn't look right to me, take it to a Parts Store and compare it to a new one.

I'm pretty sure that plastic sleeve is not supposed to be down around the bendix gear. When you turn the key, the bendix gear slides out and engages the flywheel. I believe that plastic sleeve is supposed to remain up inside. It looks like the flywheel has engaged the plastic. The entire bendix gear needs to engage the flywheel, and it appears that at least half of the bendix is covered by that plastic.

This is what it should look like:
1723944437769.png

This is your picture. You can see the end or edge of the bendix gear where the plastic bushing is chewed, that's how much it slid down over the gear. That bushing has covered almost half of the bendix.

1723944686319.png

Reactions: JerryD and tJKrider
Yea.. I took it apart. I suspected that plastic piece wasn't supposed to be there. and I find it not retracting by itself a bit concerning. I can't claim to know what correct looks like in here, but I think the plastic is just so badly worn down it gave up the ghost. Thanks plastic for once again proving you are a subpar material.

I had half a mind to just refurb it, but I don't think I could find this part in a simple rebuild kit.
I'm going to assume there isn't a problem besides the starter just not engaging the flywheel.

IMG_20240817_230816282.jpg

I want to chime in too. I circled in red my question of concerns. Is your bushing OK in the housing? Some came with needle bearings and some came with copper bushings. Is the gear broke or is it the way the picture was taken? If it is broke, check the flywheel for any damage. The plastic definitely broke away and failed. I circled in red where the plastic is supposed to be at, in that groove on the gear. If you go the rebuild route, you'll want to inspect the armature for any hot spots, the brushes for how much life if left on them, your bushings on both ends and weather your solenoid is working properly.

Screenshot_20240818_080254.jpg

I would just get a salvage yard replacement I think. Never really hear about starters failing on JKs like this.

Reactions: tJKrider
I want to chime in too. I circled in red my question of concerns. Is your bushing OK in the housing? Some came with needle bearings and some came with copper bushings. Is the gear broke or is it the way the picture was taken? If it is broke, check the flywheel for any damage. The plastic definitely broke away and failed. I circled in red where the plastic is supposed to be at, in that groove on the gear. If you go the rebuild route, you'll want to inspect the armature for any hot spots, the brushes for how much life if left on them, your bushings on both ends and weather your solenoid is working properly.

The bearing looks fine. It was just a needle bearing inside, and besides begging for some grease it doesn't seem to have any problems.

I am not sure what you mean by broke. The front of the teeth are worn off, but the circled thing is a separate part that I presume is just a stop and is held to the shaft with an internal snap ring that I doubt I'll ever be able to get off.

Rebuilt is starting to feel less likely unless I can find this entire drive unit pre assembled.