I was told the weight of my bumper is causing my problems on gravel roads. Has anyone heard that?

20200812_194548.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
That does look like alot of weight but not anymore then having a snowplow on the front, never heard anyone complain about problems with the plows on the front.

Have you had the alignment checked?

That does look like alot of weight but not anymore then having a snowplow on the front, never heard anyone complain about problems with the plows on the front.

Have you had the alignment checked?
Yes, And it was doing this even with factory shocks and factory size tires. It drive wonderfully until I hit a gravel road Then it sounds like I am hurting my jeep at slow speed. I'm going to give it a shot to add counterweight with sandbags to see if problem persist.

Wow, that looks like possibly the heaviest bumper I've ever seen. Not only is that affecting your overall performance, but it's also likely causing the front end to sag due to weight, which is probably negatively affecting your suspension, especially off-road.

Yes, And it was doing this even with factory shocks and factory size tires. It drive wonderfully until I hit a gravel road Then it sounds like I am hurting my jeep at slow speed. I'm going to give it a shot to add counterweight with sandbags to see if problem persist.

That's one heck of a front bumper. I apologize, I read through this, I'm not sure I know exactly what the problem is? Your follow up post says is sounds like you're hurting your Jeep? I'm not 100% sure what that means? Is your problem just sound when you get on a gravel road?

Is it steering all over, pulling one way, what's it doing that's the issue?

With all that weight bolted to the front edge of the frame, it's also making those front frame pieces like a lever and pulling down more than just the weight I would think.

I don't believe shocks would be in the equation to help really, stock or not. The Coil Springs would be the taking the load, but still would need to know what exactly your problem is to narrow down the change.

I've switched multiple bumpers on my JK and TJ, it's a few bolts, and unhooking the winch, other than needing help to lift it off, it's not a hard job. Pull it off, drive down the gravel road, and you'll know right away if it's the bumper or not.

Reactions: JeepersCreepers2
Is there a difference in 2WD and 4WD?
I'm guessing you don't have to go around many trees with that bumper? Just go right thru them?