Hybrid Jeeps

I'm indifferent about it.

Part of me likes the feel and experience of an ICE equipped vehicle. The other part of me is in love with the idea of all electric. For instance, I had a chance to drive a Tesla Model S in ludicrous mode, and let me tell you... that put to rest any and all reservations I had about electric vehicles. It will literally changing you driving one of those things, and make you a believer.

From a Jeep perspective, I view the instant torque of an electric motor as a bonus, especially when off-road. However, from a DIY mechanic perspective, the fact that we are constantly shifting towards more complex and electric vehicles means that guys like you and I will never again be able to really work on our vehicles. Sure, maybe we'll be able to do simple things like brakes and suspension, but when something goes wrong with the electronics themselves (which it will), you'll need a computer science degree and a crap ton of special tools (that one the dealer will have) to diagnose and fix them.

I have never driven a Tesla but I know that they are awesome. I agree with the instant torque and we cant work on them any more. I also think they are gonna get super heavy (heavier) then they already are and the range i dont think will be that great. We have aerodynamics and once again the weight. we wont have the luxury of being able to charge while out on the trail.

I hope they get it right but i am hesitant simply because of what i said. also the town i love in is not set up for electric vehicles. hell we don't have a single business or public area that has a charging station.

Reactions: Chris
Electric and water don’t mix very well
Although I think they will, if they haven't already, find a way to make electric cars waterproof the cost associated with it will be absurd.

I don't know that I will ever not own a gas powered vehicle. I just love the sound of a engine.

I have never driven a Tesla but I know that they are awesome. I agree with the instant torque and we cant work on them any more. I also think they are gonna get super heavy (heavier) then they already are and the range i dont think will be that great. We have aerodynamics and once again the weight. we wont have the luxury of being able to charge while out on the trail.

I hope they get it right but i am hesitant simply because of what i said. also the town i love in is not set up for electric vehicles. hell we don't have a single business or public area that has a charging station.

Yes, weight is a big issue. The Tesla Model S is almost 5000 lbs. However, you'd never, ever know from driving one. The instant power makes up for it and you never realize you're driving around a heavy pig.

To me, range is still an issue. If you tell me I can get 300 miles of range from my Jeep (mixed driving) that might be fine for a local wheel spot, but if you want to do any sort of overlanding, camping, or a weekend wheeling trip, it's going to be impossible in most cases.

I think electric vehicles have their application, but I think we are 30-40 years away from where that application will include off-roading.

The biggest pain in the butt for me is not being able to work on it. If your electric Jeep breaks down on the trail, what are you supposed to do? Can't really work on it like you can with the current Jeeps. Hell... even the JLs are getting so complicated that they're probably a pain in the ass to work on.

The biggest pain in the butt for me is not being able to work on it. If your electric Jeep breaks down on the trail, what are you supposed to do? Can't really work on it like you can with the current Jeeps. Hell... even the JLs are getting so complicated that they're probably a pain in the ass to work on.
and thus auto makers plan all along. Make things so difficult to work on you either A. Take it to them and get if fixed (dealers see their biggest profit margin in service) or B. You buy a new car when yours breaks.

Reactions: blank
and thus auto makers plan all along. Make things so difficult to work on you either A. Take it to them and get if fixed (dealers see their biggest profit margin in service) or B. You buy a new car when yours breaks.

I agree completely. I tell my wife this all the time. Manufacturers of everything are making them so they are disposable. Home appliances are another perfect example. They don't want you repairing your refrigerator or oven. They are so complicated now that when they go bad, it's the same cost to repair them as it is to buy a new one (we went through this once with our fridge), and therefore people just dispose of them and buy a new one.

It's the same thing with cars. No one can fix them anymore, so when they break, you either take it in to get repaired (and pay a small fortune), or you buy a new one to replace it.

I think the electric thing works great for commuting, but for an off-road vehicle, I'm not sold on it. It adds a tremendous amount of complexity, which isn't your friend when you're off-roading.

Reactions: blank
I'm indifferent about it.

Part of me likes the feel and experience of an ICE equipped vehicle. The other part of me is in love with the idea of all electric. For instance, I had a chance to drive a Tesla Model S in ludicrous mode, and let me tell you... that put to rest any and all reservations I had about electric vehicles. It will literally changing you driving one of those things, and make you a believer.

From a Jeep perspective, I view the instant torque of an electric motor as a bonus, especially when off-road. However, from a DIY mechanic perspective, the fact that we are constantly shifting towards more complex and electric vehicles means that guys like you and I will never again be able to really work on our vehicles. Sure, maybe we'll be able to do simple things like brakes and suspension, but when something goes wrong with the electronics themselves (which it will), you'll need a computer science degree and a crap ton of special tools (that one the dealer will have) to diagnose and fix them.
For a fat price!

Reactions: Chris