How to Replace the Knock Sensor on a Jeep Wrangler JK

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
The knock sensor is a device that is designed to sense vibrations coming from the engine. It is located on the engine block. The Jeep Wrangler's computer takes the signals from the sensor and alters the the ignition timing to prevent misfires and detonation. If your knock sensor is going bad, you will experience a loss in MPG and a lack of acceleration at higher speeds. Replacing this sensor is not hard, it just requires you to slide under the car and get a bit messy. If your engine's timing is off, your MPG has decreased, or your acceleration doesn't feel normal, then connect an OBD-II to your Wrangler and see if the knock sensor is in fact faulty. Read on to learn how you can replace it yourself.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-03-at-11-40-44-AM-113661.png

Materials Needed
  • 12mm wrench
  • New knock sensor
  • Jack and jack stands
Step 1 – Raise the front of the Jeep
This is not required; however, raising your Jeep's front will give you much more room to work in. Raise the front of the car from the axles, and secure it with jack stands.

DSC08126-113667.jpg

Figure 1. Raise the Jeep.

Step 2 – Remove knock sensor
The knock sensor is located on the engine block. It is located just behind the right side engine mount (passenger's side). The engine mount holds the engine to the frame. So find the sensor between the mount, the transmission, and the oil pan.

Remove the electrical connection by squeezing it and pulling it out. Then remove the bolt holding it to the engine block.

17223-50-113671.jpg

Figure 2. Knock sensor.

Step 3 – Install the new knock sensor
Installation is the reverse of removal.

Connect the electrical harness to the sensor and tighten its bolt to 176 in. lbs (15 ft./lbs).

In Figure 3, number 1 is the electrical connection, number 2 is the bolt holding the sensor to the block, and number 4 is the sensor itself.

ojcFqNf-113674.jpg

Figure 3. Install new sensor.

Reactions: 72c10
Could u post any pictures of the location. Im working on changing my knock sensor on a 2014 jeep jk but i cant find it and i gave up

According to the picture looks like right next to where the motor mount bolts to the block.
It’s between to firewall and motor. It’s a very inconvenient location. I just had to re ground the a/c clutch/o2 sensor ground which is located right next to the knock sensor. The knock sensor is easier to get to. That was on a 2008 Jeep wrangler unlimited x. Which is identical to what’s in the diagram.

It’s between to firewall and motor. It’s a very inconvenient location. I just had to re ground the a/c clutch/o2 sensor ground which is located right next to the knock sensor. The knock sensor is easier to get to. That was on a 2008 Jeep wrangler unlimited x. Which is identical to what’s in the diagram.
Sorry I didn’t realize I was 4 years to late. Hope it helps someone.