How to Install Tow Hitch on a Jeep Wrangler JK

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
The Jeep Wrangler is a powerful car, and even though it has the capability to tow, some come out of the factory without a tow hitch. When buying a tow hitch, be sure to research the tow hitch's capabilities and maximum towing capacity, then compare it to what you plan on towing. Installing a tow hitch is not a hard job, and since your Jeep is designed for such tasks, the frame is drilled and ready for you to install the hitch. If you can ask a friend for help, that would make your life easier, as you will need to remove the rear bumper and a helping hand can prevent bumper damage. Read on to learn how you can install a tow hitch in your Jeep Wrangler and start towing whatever it is you need to tow.

41zH-91Tt3L-_SX425_-115841.jpg

Figure 1. Tow hitch.

Nov-17-Tow-Hitch-117537.png

Materials Needed
  • Socket set
  • Wrench
  • Torque ratchet
Step 1 – Remove rear bumper
The rear bumper is held in place by a sequence of bolts. You'll find two on each side and four in the middle. Remove them all and pull the bumper off.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-11-at-1-33-04-PM-115845.png

Figure 2. Remove bolts holding bumper to frame.

Step 2 – Install tow hitch
The tow hitch will bolt onto the frame, so align it and install all four bolts straight in; don't forget the nuts and washers. Lock the nut in the rear with a wrench, and use a torque wrench to torque each bolt to 80 ft/lbs.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-11-at-1-39-50-PM-115849.png

Figure 3. Insert bolts through.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-11-at-1-41-36-PM-115851.png

Figure 4. Hand-tighten nuts.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-11-at-1-42-17-PM-115853.png

Figure 5. Tighten to 80 ft/lbs.

Step 3 – Install bumper
With the tow hitch in place, install the bumper the same way you removed it. Align it in place, then hand-tighten the side bolts. After hand-tightening all bolts, tighten them all to make sure it's nice and sturdy.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-11-at-1-50-12-PM-115859.png

Figure 6. Install rear bumper.

Featured Video: Jeep Wrangler Tow Hitch

This is a great post. I wish the factory would have made this a standard feature... I will be buying one asap!!

i installed mine with no problem without disassembling anything.
I did use a plastic wedge and a short 2x4 for a space to move the muffler a little so I could get the bolts in.
I bought the cheapest one on amazon, for less than $50 you get a hitch with excellent welds and includes the wiring for a 4 prong. good for 350 tongue, 3500 load.
I have no idea why the people on the above pictures are not putting the bolts in from the other direction.
Don

Reactions: Mrriverajr