How to Install a Transmission Cooler on a Jeep Wrangler JK

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Your engine needs to be cooled to last and so does your automatic transmission. The factory runs the trans fluid through the radiator to cool it, but that does not always get the job done. You can perform a modification to your Jeep that will keep the transmission cool and make it last. An auxiliary transmission cooler is inexpensive and easy to install yourself. It will be one of the cheapest insurance policies you can get for your Jeep.

infographic-cooler-119267.png

Materials Needed
  • Automatic transmission cooler kit
  • Two 3/8" to 3/8" barbed hose connectors
  • Towels
  • Vinyl gloves
  • 1/4" drive ratchet and extensions
  • 5/16" socket
  • Flat head screwdrivers
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • Funnel for transmission fluid
  • 1 quart of appropriate transmission fluid
  • Catch pan
If you have heard about a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about the HOT light for the transmission coming on, don't get too excited. The TSB calls for installation of a factory designed trans cooler, but it is strictly for Wranglers sold internationally.

Step 1 – Remove grille
Remove the six plastic retaining screw/clips from the top of the grille. Figure 1 shows a plastic grille screw used prior to 2008. Screw it out as you pry the inside out. Then pull the clip out.

Wrangler-grill-clips-118985.png

Figure 1. Grille screw clip.

Figure 2 shows the clip used in 2008s and newer. Slip a flat screwdriver in the tangs to pop the center up and then pry out.

Wrangler-grill-clip-2-118989.png

Figure 2. Grille push clip.

There are a number of plastic clips that hold the grille on at the bottom. To unsnap them just grab the grille near the bottom and pull forward. They will unsnap and then the grille can be pulled out.

Wrangler-grill-fasteners-119009.png

Figure 4. Bottom grille fasteners.

Before you remove the grille, remove the turn signal bulbs by holding the lock in and then twisting them counter-clockwise. Set the grille aside.

Wrangler-signal-connector-119003.png

Figure 5. Turn signal bulb connector.

Pro Tip
You can buy a plastic fastener removal tool at your auto supply store.

Step 2 – Lay out trans cooler
There are a vast number of choices for trans coolers. The stacked plate design is what manufacturers use. Since B&M is a well-known brand, it's the example we will use.

Auto-trans-cooler-119011.png

Figure 6. Cooler parts.

Some are more specific to your application with the factory designed version being the best fit. It is two to four times as much money but should fit perfectly.

Wrangler-factory-trans-cooler-119013.png

Figure 7. Factory trans cooler kit.

Be sure all of the parts are there before you start.

Pro Tip
Invest in quality parts so you will not have issues later.

Step 3 – Attach mounts to cooler
Take the extra few minutes to mount the cooler correctly. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it over.

The metal straps that bolt to the cooler to mount it to your Jeep are the way to go. By attaching one to each corner, the cooler will mount solidly. You can try to use existing holes in the Jeep but may need to drill a couple in the bottom grille brace. Allow an inch or so between the cooler and the radiator. Mock everything up before bolting anything on.

Trans-cooler-w-brackets-119025.png

Figure 8. Cooler with brackets bolted on.

coolermounted-119275.png

Figure 9. Cooler mounted on Jeep.

When you are satisfied, tighten everything down.

Pro Tip
Be sure nothing rubs on the radiator, or any hoses rub sharp edges.

Step 4 – Attach cooler hoses
Attach the ends of the supplied hose to the cooler with a hose clamp. Tighten with a 5/16" socket and ratchet. Run the hose under the bottom of the radiator or between the radiator and the grille support on the driver's side.

runhoses1-119284.png

Figure 10. Cooler hoses run to bottom.

runhosestoside-119286.png

Figure 11. Cooler hoses run to side.

Find the rubber hose part of the top cooler line as shown in Figure 12 and cut it. Some trans fluid will leak.

Wrangler-trans-cooler-hose-119033.png

Figure 12. Trans cooler line (dark one) hose to cut.

Secure the hoses you ran from the cooler with wire ties so they are secure and away from harm. Cut the hose from the cooler so they have enough slack in them to hook up to the hose that was just cut per Figure 13. Attach the hose from the bottom of the cooler to the tube coming from the front of the Jeep (Number 1 in Figure 13). Attach the other hose from the cooler to the tube coming from the transmission (2 in Figure 13). Install clamps securely.

Wrangler-cooler-hose-attachment-119039.png

Figure 13. Hoses from cooler spliced into trans lines.

Pro Tip
Secure the rubber hoses well so they do not come loose or rub.

Step 5 – Check for leaks
Start your Jeep and let it get warm. Check for leaks at any point you spliced hose in. If there is a leak, snug the clamp up until it stops.

Step 6 – Add transmission fluid
Since some fluid was lost and the new cooler will need some, top off the transmission fluid.

Pro Tip
Check for leaks the following week in case anything pops up.

Step 7 – Replace grille
Replace the grille in the reverse that you took it off. Be sure to plug the turn signals back in.

Wrangler-trans-cooler-installed-119050.png

Figure 14. Trans cooler installed.

I recently installed this exact B & M cooler on ours. We went on a ride a couple of weeks ago and the Hot Oil light came on. I knew then this was needed.
Install was pretty easy. On mine I didn't take the grill completely off due to the winch. With it on the factory bumper there was not enough room to get the bottom tabs out so I just leaned the top out and got everything in that way. It would have been super easy if not for that.
The instructions in the box state to take the hard lines loose from the radiator but the method Chris mentioned is much easier, which is what I did.
So far so good. Very inexpensive and easy upgrade/insurance!

$81 Amazon prime.
B&M 70268
Two things I had to buy separately were extra hose clamps (which I had clamp kits at home already) and male-to-male barb fittings, 3/8". This kit did not come with those, but any hardware store should have them.
I'm not sure if B&M has a kit with these that is specific to the JK or not. This is just the kit I used.