How to change spark plugs and spark plug wires on a Jeep Wrangler JK 3.8

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
This write-up applies to 2007-2011 Jeep Wrangler JKs only.

What You Will Need:
  • 3/8” Drive Ratchet
  • 3/8” Torque Wrench
  • 18” Ratchet Extension
  • 3/8” Swivel Socket
  • 3/8” Drive, 5/8” Spark Plug Socket
  • Mechanical Fingers Tool
  • Spark Plug Gapper (w/ .050 feeler gauge)

What you will need to get for this job:

Tech guidelines and notes:

Spark plug gap: (.050) Fifty thousandths of an inch.
Spark plug thread torque: 12 FOOT LBS

Champion does not recommend the use of Anti-Seize on the spark plug threads. Champion plugs have a special coating on the thread body that prevents thread seizure in aluminum heads. The use of Anti-Seize will cause the installer to over torque the spark plug in the cylinder head which could damage the threads in the cylinder head itself.

Changing the spark plugs and wires in your Jeep Wrangler’s engine may be necessary if you notice intermittent miss fires at idle when the engine is in gear and stopped. Chrysler recommends replacing the spark plugs and ignition wires at 102,000 miles but, your mileage may vary depending on the level of modifications you’ve performed on your Jeep, climate, and severe driving conditions.

While changing the spark plugs and wires is a relatively easy task, the passenger side wires and plugs can prove to be a challenge. If you have removed the passenger side fender liner, the job will be much easier. Optionally, you might want to have a new wire tray on hand for the passenger side wire assembly as it might break during removal.

For safety purposes, disconnect the negative battery cable.

attachment.php.jpg

Remove cylinder #2 (drivers side front) spark plug wire. (You may need to twist the boot left and right to break it loose from the coil and spark plug)

attachment.php_1.jpg

Using the 3/8” ratchet, extension, swivel and 5/8” spark plug socket, carefully remove the driver side front spark plug. (Note: Before removing the spark plug, take care to remove any debris that may have collected from around the base of the spark plug to prevent foreign objects from falling into the cylinder.

attachment.php_2.jpg

Here’s an old vs. new comparison of the spark plug. Due to wear and tear, you will notice the gap of the old plug has widened quite a bit compared to the new.

attachment.php_3.jpg

Using the spark plug gapper, find the .050 gauge feeler and carefully place it between the grounding electrode and center electrode. You should feel a slight drag as you slide the feeler between the gap. If adjustment is needed, use the adjustment slot on the gapper to bend the grounding electrode in or out. Use small movements and recheck the gap frequently. (Important: never pry against or bend the center electrode or damage to the spark plug will occur.)

attachment.php_4.jpg

attachment.php_5.jpg

Insert the spark plug into the 5/8” spark plug socket and carefully lower the spark plug into the threaded hole in the cylinder head. By hand, start turning the socket clockwise to thread the plug into the cylinder head. Use extreme caution while starting the threads; the plug should easily thread into the cylinder head. If you feel it bind as you start to rotate the plug, STOP! Remove the plug and start again. After you have threaded the plug all the way into the cylinder head, set your torque wrench to 12FT. LBS and torque the spark plug.

attachment.php_6.jpg

Add a small amount of Dielectric grease to the coil pack terminal and spark plug terminal and install the wire. You should feel and hear a click as the plug wire terminal seats on the coil pack and spark plug terminals.

attachment.php_7.jpg

Repeat the above steps to replace the remaining spark plugs and wires on the driver side.

attachment.php_8.jpg

Disconnect the spark plug wires at the coil using a twisting motion as you pull the plug away from the terminal. Take note of which plug wire connects to the coil pack. You can use a sharpie to write the cylinder number on the plug wire boot. Notice the coil pack has the cylinder number embossed on the case.

attachment.php_9.jpg

Disconnect the plug wires from the passenger side spark plugs and carefully lift up on the heater hose retaining bracket to release it from the valve cover stand-off bolt. (This will give you a bit more room to maneuver the wires during installation.) Remove the crankcase vent hose from the valve cover as well.

attachment.php_10.jpg

Carefully lift up on the spark plug wire tray to remove the retainer from the rear valve cover stand-off bolt. Gently pull the wire assembly towards the passenger side and down to work the wires from behind the engine until they are free. Pay attention to the routing of the wires from behind the engine during removal. You may have to push the wires from the driver side a bit to prevent them from hanging up on the engine. (Note: The wire tray is plastic and may break during removal due to being brittle from heat and age. Replacing it at this time might be a good idea.)

attachment.php_11.jpg

attachment.php_12.jpg

Remove and replace the passenger side spark plugs.

attachment.php_2.jpg

Carefully release the clips that hold the spark plug wires to the wire tray. Replace one wire at a time to maintain wire orientation and lengths until you have a complete assembly.

attachment.php_13.jpg

Using masking tape, wrap the plug wire ends that go to the coil terminals together. (This will help you route the wires behind the engine as an assembly.

attachment.php_14.jpg

Route the taped end of the wires behind the rear of the passenger side valve cover from the top of the engine or, from under the wheel well if you removed the fender liner. Push the wires in behind the engine as far as you can until they are almost sticking out on the driver side of the engine. You may have to work the wires a bit to get them in the correct position. Then, using the mechanical fingers tool, grab one of the wire boots and pull it towards the driver side of the engine.

attachment.php_15.jpg
attachment.php_16.jpg

Reattach the wire tray to the valve cover stand-off bolt and reconnect the spark plug wires to the spark plug terminals. (See right side of picture)

attachment.php_11.jpg

Reattach the heater hose retainer to the valve cover stand-off bolt and install the crankcase breather hose.

attachment.php_10.jpg

Connect the spark plug wires to the coil pack terminals in the correct cylinder order after adding a small amount of dielectric grease to the terminals.

attachment.php_17.jpg

Check all connections and all work performed. Twice!

Make sure you have removed all tools, rags, drop light and fender covers from the engine compartment.

Re-connect the negative battery cable.

Make sure your manual transmission is in neutral and apply the brakes before starting the engine; Make sure your automatic transmission is in park and the brake is set before starting the engine.

After you start the engine you should have a smooth idle.

Great write up, it gave me the courage to tackle this today... after a couple of months of stewing over it, wondering if the PO changed the plugs (I bought the Jeep from a dealer at 118K mi/now has 122k). A guy bought factory Champion plugs for the JK and Amazon sent him a double order and told him to keep it... he sold them to me for $6 :)

1. I almost took the fender off, but I wanted to challenge myself. Success. I just unpluged the air filter and heater hose to move them out of the way.

2. I used a 2" extension for the passenger side and a 12" extension for the driver side.

3. 45 min later, I got them swapped.

Damn.... idle is 50-75% smoother. Acceleration is smoother.

I don't think the PO changed the plugs at 100-102K miles like he/she should've. Here's a pic. If he changed them at 60k mi like some may do, would they look like this (see pic)? The gaps were estimated to range from .060 to .075. I only wonder, because the rest of the JK has been cosmetically and mechanically maintained.

plugs.jpg

Reactions: mrjp
Great write up - thank you. I have this next on my "to do" list - already have the parts, but last time I thought about doing it I gave up once I saw how fun it was to get to everything. I have ham hands and fingers. Pulling hard on the plug boot for no. 2 - it did not want to budge either, and then I gave up. Try try again! Will follow your plan here - thanks. I still think though that anti seize on any plugs is good SOP, but be careful about tightening I guess. I have had to remove enough plugs that were in there a looong time and did not want to come out. I don't want to be that guy when the next guy to own my jeep starts bitching about the DPO.

Great write up - thank you. I have this next on my "to do" list - already have the parts, but last time I thought about doing it I gave up once I saw how fun it was to get to everything. I have ham hands and fingers. Pulling hard on the plug boot for no. 2 - it did not want to budge either, and then I gave up. Try try again! Will follow your plan here - thanks. I still think though that anti seize on any plugs is good SOP, but be careful about tightening I guess. I have had to remove enough plugs that were in there a looong time and did not want to come out. I don't want to be that guy when the next guy to own my jeep starts bitching about the DPO.
I was wanting to put anti-seize, but this write-up is not the first time I've heard not to put them on these Champ double platinums. However, if it makes you feel better... mine appear to have been in there for 122,000 miles and change - AND they took minimal force to loosen them after I got those stubborn plug boots to come out, particularly 5 & 7, because I had no room to pull... all I can say is, keep trying (twisting, pulling and then make the face :)) But, taking the old plugs out (I can speak for the Champion 7440s) was easy as hell.

BELIEVE ME... I know about seeing how fun it would be to do, every time you open that hood. I wish I would've just got to it as soon as I could! After doing it, just put 45 min - 1 hr aside and just do it. I have to say, even with frustrations, it was fairly easy and I didn't swear that much. I did blurt a HOLY SHIT out when I saw the plugs might be the originals.

Chris' write-up was the best one out of all the ones I've seen for JK plug swaps.

Reactions: mrjp