How to Blow Up Your Jeep

Anybodyhome

USN Retired (1973-1993)
Supporting Member
https://jalopnik.com/jeep-wrangler-engine-explodes-after-owner-tows-vehicle-1846493328

A 2021 Jeep Wrangler’s 3.6-liter V6 engine apparently tried revving to eight times its redline after the owner left the vehicle’s transfer case in low-range while flat-towing, The Drive reports. The resulting stresses tore the engine apart, yielding a scene that looks as if it might have been caused by a grenade.

The car website spoke with the foreman of a north Florida shop to learn more about the ruined white 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon that had been flat-towed behind an RV. From The Drive:

Tuten told The Drive that when the techs began diagnosing the vehicle, they noticed it had been left in “4-Low,” which is what you’d want when traversing rough terrain at low speeds, or if stuck in a rut—but most definitely not while being towed at highway speeds. For reference, the JL Wrangler manual explicitly states not to exceed 25 miles per hour with 4-Low engaged.

Video of the mechanical disaster that once was a dual overhead cam, 3.6-liter, naturally aspirated V6, made it to TikTok and YouTube. Prepare your souls for destruction.

As you can see in the clip, the crankshaft is broken, the block and pan are in pieces, there’s no flywheel or clutch kit to be found, the catalytic converter is destroyed, the bell housing is toast, the manual transmission input shaft has been sheared, and — though it’s hard to tell — I’m fairly sure the passenger’s side upper control arm was bent by the flying debris. It’s just a huge mess.

But that’s what happens when you have lots of reciprocating mass moving far faster than it was ever designed to. The Pentastar Upgrade was really only ever meant to consistently rev to roughly 6,600 RPM. With the Rubicon coming stock with a 4.10:1 axle ratio and a 4:1 transfer case low range ratio, and with first gear at 5.13:1, the vehicle’s crawl ratio is 84.13:1. This means the engine spins 84.13 times as fast as the rear wheels do.

If we assume that the RV was towing this Jeep at 60 mph (we don’t really know how fast it was traveling; the shop foreman that The Drive spoke to guessed 55), we can use the fact that the Jeep’s stock 285/70R17 BF Goodrich KO2s are rated to turn 645 revolutions per mile to learn that, at that speed, the vehicle’s tires were spinning at 645 rpm.

The 84.13:1 crawl ratio tells us that, when in first gear and low range, the engine spins 84.13 times as fast as the wheels. This means that, with the RV towing the Jeep at 60 mph, the Jeep’s wheels were trying to force its engine to spin at 54,264 RPM. That’s 8.22 times the engine’s 6,600 RPM redline. No wonder it blew up (If I had to guess, it happened well before 50,000 RPM).
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check the YouTube on the link above.

• Wow
Reactions: JerryD
Thats why I always check to make sure it rolls on it's own before heading out with the rv

Do you think the guy didn't hear or feel anything? Seems to me like he would. There not even sure the insurance company will cover the repairs.
I dunno. Can you get insurance policies to protect you from being dumb and opting not to read the owner's manual?

But, then, if you can sue someone for coffee being hot.......

How about the bore driver/passengers just behind the exploding Jeep. There was probably a whole line of cars that got flat tires pulled to side with the RV.
Oh and I think Gorilla Tape may be needed here

• Wow
Reactions: mrjp
Do you think the guy didn't hear or feel anything? Seems to me like he would. There not even sure the insurance company will cover the repairs.
They don't say what kind of motor home. Something with some torque, I would guess, but even so, there must have been a lot of resistance. I'm guessing either a new RV'er or new to towing a vehicle - probably both. I wonder how long it made it? What a shame... At least $30k not including labor, read somewhere... And it had to have been loud! I mean, not as loud as if someone were inside the Jeep.

Man, just boggles the mind...

They don't say what kind of motor home. Something with some torque, I would guess, but even so, there must have been a lot of resistance. I'm guessing either a new RV'er or new to towing a vehicle - probably both. I wonder how long it made it? What a shame... At least $30k not including labor, read somewhere... And it had to have been loud! I mean, not as loud as if someone were inside the Jeep.

Man, just boggles the mind...
I agree with you I tow my jeep and have towed other vehicles and I always am checking the camera and mirrors while driving. It goes back to when you hook up and double check your self on the tow car being ready. with 1250ft pounds of torque it will drag it behind you but if you know your motorhome and how it drives you will notice it is pulling harder than normal. I would guess it was a rookie owner/driver fairly new to the motorhome travel. I would repair that for a lot less by buying a totaled jeep and swapping in the a new drive train I would thing the axels and diffs are toast also