How much oil will come out when removing oil filter?

JKTimmah

Supporting Member
Silly question, I know, but how much oil will come out when I remove the oil filter from my 3.8? I know it sits above the pan and I know some will drain out from the engine. I'm just curious if anyone has done this, lol. I'm installing a plate between filter and block to facilitate an oil pressure gauge, hence the question! Just curious really. I'll find out soon enough!

Tim

Silly question, I know, but how much oil will come out when I remove the oil filter from my 3.8? I know it sits above the pan and I know some will drain out from the engine. I'm just curious if anyone has done this, lol. I'm installing a plate between filter and block to facilitate an oil pressure gauge, hence the question! Just curious really. I'll find out soon enough!

Tim

Not sure as the quantity, but why not hold off a little bit and do it when you do your next oil change?

I can't speak to the exact amount in terms of a number, but if I had to guess it's probably .25 quarts at most.

Yeah, I'm doing it regardless. I know it can't be much and I'll find out this weekend. I'm only around 700 miles into my last change, so I guess I just don't want to be wasteful! lol

My new hardtop is arriving soon so I'll be wiring things up for that and want to get the gauges installed at the same time. I just got to thinking about it and it's not something you really ever do.

Tim

Okay I am lost here, oil coming out from the oil filter without removing the drain plug?

At any rate for the sake of arguments, there is about 5 to 10 drops on mine and so, 10-20 drops of engine oil can be added into 1 oz (30 ml).

Put this into the equation and I got 15 ml (1/2 oz) of oil spilled from my filter and so, going back to your filter. Go crack open the filter just enough to have a leak-drop and count how many drops it produce >>> every 20 drops will equate to 30 ml (1 oz).

Last edited:
Okay I am lost here, oil coming out from the oil filter without removing the drain plug?

At any rate for the sake of arguments, there is about 5 to 10 drops on mine and so, 10-20 drops of engine oil can be added into 1 oz (30 ml).

Put this into the equation and I got 15 ml (1/2 oz) of oil spilled from my filter and so, going back to your filter. Go crack open the filter just enough to have a leak-drop and count how many drops it produce >>> every 20 drops will equate to 30 ml (1 oz).
He has the 3.8 so the oil filter is on the side unlike the 3.6

Darnit.
So then, 1 cubic inch = 0.03 oz.
Measure the volume of the actual filter then multiply it by 0.03.
Volume (oz) = 2 x 3.1416 x Diameter x Length x 0.03 x .75
In this equation 25% is the area occupied by the filter.

Last edited: