How much bump stop?

Allwhite14

I have a 2014 JKU with a 2.5 inch pro comp lift. 37s. I had to cut the front side of the rear pinch seam. I have flat fenders. It’s still not clearing the tires as much as I would like. Minor rubbing. So I decided I need taller bump stops on the rear axle. I can fabricate them. Or buy them. Any opinions?

Flex it till it rubs. If it's not rubbing enough to cause problems, you're good to go. If it is, then fabricate bumpstops that will make it stop flexing before it rubs enough to cause problems. There's no way anyone can tell you the dimensions needed; you need to flex it and measure it. With 37's and only a 2.5" lift, they're going to be pretty long.

Reactions: Danarch
Sounds good to me. I have 2 inch bump stops on the axles. I just measured them. I’m gonna fabricate some 3 inch ones out of 3x3 steel tubing. If that doesn’t work. I’ll just go to 4 inch. Cheap and easy. Just wanted an outside opinion. Thank you. And…. I’m gonna trim the pinch seams some more. Tack weld some spots and fill with JB weld to close it all up again.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Don't trim too much, or you'll loose structural rigidity. Conventional wisdom says that you do not really have enough lift for 37's, other than in minimal-flex (read that as mall crawling) situations. But I'm all for keeping the lift low, if you can.

Personally, we have a 3" and a 5" lift, both on 35's. The 3" rubs with moderate flex. The 5" rubs only with pretty heavy flex, and not enough to be a problem.

Ouch. Mall crawler? I’ll hold back the tears. Lol. I live in Florida. I don’t rock crawl. But we have a lot of phosphate property and hills and uneven terrain. It’s flexes pretty hard in my opinion. For what we have here. I’m really close to not scrubbing the pinch welds. All the testing I’ve done this week have had the front sway bar links connected. So it’s forcing the rear to flex a lot. I think taller bump stops and a little more trimming. And taking off the sway bar connects will fix the issue. Hopefully.

Ouch. Mall crawler? I’ll hold back the tears. Lol.
It's a descriptive term. That's what some people build. And that's fine.
I live in Florida. I don’t rock crawl. But we have a lot of phosphate property and hills and uneven terrain. It’s flexes pretty hard in my opinion.
Hard flex can be very subjective. This is what we consider hard flex here.
DCAM1439.JPG
For what we have here. I’m really close to not scrubbing the pinch welds. All the testing I’ve done this week have had the front sway bar links connected. So it’s forcing the rear to flex a lot. I think taller bump stops and a little more trimming. And taking off the sway bar connects will fix the issue. Hopefully.
If it doesn't rub enough in your application to be a problem, that's all that matters. Doesn't matter if that means rocks, hills, or curbs.

That’s some pretty hard flexing. I won’t experience that here. I really appreciate the advice and info. It’s nice to have a forum where I can reach out and get a response. My local annual event is mostly dirt trails and mud and off camber stuff.

That’s some pretty hard flexing. I won’t experience that here. I really appreciate the advice and info. It’s nice to have a forum where I can reach out and get a response. My local annual event is mostly dirt trails and mud and off camber stuff.
My understanding of Florida Jeeping is that it involves a lot more mud than we get. I think the mud runs downhill to Kansas and leaves us with rocks. Around here, this is the biggest mudhole I've ever had to contend with.
And people get stuck in it.

My understanding of Florida Jeeping is that it involves a lot more mud than we get. I think the mud runs downhill to Kansas and leaves us with rocks. Around here, this is the biggest mudhole I've ever had to contend with.
And people get stuck in it.

Heh, my first campout/offroad ride had bigger pits than that on the ride into the campsite. Now rocks, well, they weren't anywhere to be seen. Mostly sandy dirt on the trails.

Yeah, that mud hole is minor. I might drive through three feet of water with a sand bottom or just nasty mud for 50 yards, when we go wheelin or hunting. It’s Florida. It’s a swamp. Lol.