Hesitation with acceleration

Kalen

New owner here! I’m coming from 4 liter turbo cars. I have had an issue when I apply steady acceleration, my car hesitates and the rpms struggle to shift the car. Took to dealer. They did new spark plugs and injector clean, claimed it was bad gas I got. Car is a 2012 only 13k miles. Car wasn’t driven much in 8 years. Any help would be great. No cel codes at all.

The acceleration is not thrilling even at the best of times, and the drive-by-wire throttle response is downright sluggish. If you really mash down on it, it will accelerate more quickly, but it's not responsive to the gas pedal in the same way that other cars you may be more used to probably are. Having said that, you may actually be having some kind of problem with hesitation, which sounds like a fuel issue. New plugs aren't a bad thing. Maybe clean the throttle body, and take their advice - put some high test gas in it and drive it until you have used up the tank.

Reactions: BigAL07 and Chris
True this isn’t a car I am use to! They replaced spark plugs and what not. Did the fuel injector clean. I also noticed it only happens in 3rd and 4th and with in that green “eco band” does seem fuel related but maybe could be electrical? How are the tps sensors in these?

I have a video of it, won’t seem to load here. But that would make sense. Car does not have many miles on it I know these coil packs and spark plugs last around 100k but I’m stumped never had or seen aN acceleration issue Like this.But it like I said it will only do it in 3 or 4th. I’ll hold solid position on the throttle and the eco light will go in and out.

There was another member that was having a acceleration issue and found out his underhood insulation was covering the intake tube on the air filter and choking the air flow out. He even got a CEL for air flow problem but it maybe worth checking.

Reactions: BigAL07
Funny, I did see this! But I ruled this out because I have an kn after market intake. And has a cover over the top of it. I did let my tank get down to low fuel and this started to happen. Also saw that crank shaft positioning sensors can also cause this ?

But the CPS will set off a CEL just like any other electronic part on the JK. Have you checked the air filter lately to see if maybe something might have gotten sucked in there?

Maybe there's water in your tank have you tried adding some HEET in the yellow bottle?

They filled me up full 93. Was going to add heet when tank empty. Did rinse and clean air filter and throttle body

You don't need a empty tank to add some HEET, I wouldn't wait it won't hurt anything even if there's no water in it.

Awesome I’ll try that! Would help narrow down what has been going on. Car does have many miles and it’s a 2012. I wonder if there is water or a lot of sediment in the tank

Awesome I’ll try that! Would help narrow down what has been going on. Car does have many miles and it’s a 2012. I wonder if there is water or a lot of sediment in the tank

Sitting alot isn't good for a vehicle especially if in damp weather. I'm not sure if there's a fuel filter anywhere, I would hope there is i've never seen a vehicle that didn't have one.

Weird That I’m just sitting around waiting for a code but over 300 with this issue and nothing. I took it in to the dealer for decals (prev owner didn’t do any of them) but drove just fine till I let the tank go low so the light came on. Then. Problems hit. But I’ll try the heet and I can always take it back to them and give them ideas. Wanted to pick your brains

The good thing picking our brains is cheaper then paying the Dealer.

I've driven my JK 2 different times with the low fuel light on but no problems.

Keep us updated we like to know when there's a happy ending, or even a not so happy one.

Reactions: Chris
Change the fuel filter, when you let the fuel level get low, you picked up some sediment and probably partially plugged the fuel filter. If the problem continues after changing the filter, you might have to pull the in tank fuel pump, due to the intake sock becoming partially plugged.
Frank

Reactions: BigAL07 and Chris
New owner here! I’m coming from 4 liter turbo cars. I have had an issue when I apply steady acceleration, my car hesitates and the rpms struggle to shift the car. Took to dealer. They did new spark plugs and injector clean, claimed it was bad gas I got. Car is a 2012 only 13k miles. Car wasn’t driven much in 8 years. Any help would be great. No cel codes at all.

View attachment 115844
Any resolution on this issue? I seem to be having a similar problem.

I am also having a similar issue. I just bought a used 2013 JKUR with 139K and it hesitates a bit while accelerating. If I drove it hard and use a lot of throttle when accelerating the issue goes away.

Im hoping when I fill up the tank tmw the issue will go away or become less apparent. I know a lot of fuel pump issues can become worse on a low gas tank.

I am also having a similar issue. I just bought a used 2013 JKUR with 139K and it hesitates a bit while accelerating. If I drove it hard and use a lot of throttle when accelerating the issue goes away.

Im hoping when I fill up the tank tmw the issue will go away or become less apparent. I know a lot of fuel pump issues can become worse on a low gas tank.

Has it ever been tuned up? Is the air filter clean?

Reactions: mrjp