Help with JK post wreck repair

nchuntfish

Jeep was in an accident that compressed the left front bumper back into the tire (Grill and hood were untouched). LCA was bent, front driveshaft was kinked, shock was bent. Axle was shifted probably 5 or so inches backwards on the driver's side. Axle has been looked over and looks fine. All of the above has been replaced and the alignment sheet still shows the above. (Also, the Jeep has a 2-2.5 inch RC lift and sits on 35s)

Thoughts on what the repair shop should look for next? UCA? UCA mount? They seem to be stuck and have had the Jeep six weeks already.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Eric
2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Thanks

Photo 39.jpg

Last edited:
Get it put on a frame alignment table. Sounds like the whole chassis's tweaked.
Was thinking the same thing. With the LF camber/caster measurements off something must be bent. The comment regarding the axle "looking" fine may be an indication to inspect it with more precision.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
View attachment 125660
Photo 39.jpg
Photo 39.jpg
Photo 39.jpg

Sooo... you still have the same axle that was in the accident on the Jeep? My money is on the axle being bent. I'm also with @Snowbird Tom on getting it on a frame machine too.
That is what they originally suspected also, as they said 90 percent of the time the axle bends on these type of Jeep crashes, but they couldn't seem to detect any issues with it.

Thanks for the input!

View attachment 125660View attachment 125661View attachment 125661View attachment 125662

That is what they originally suspected also, as they said 90 percent of the time the axle bends on these type of Jeep crashes, but they couldn't seem to detect any issues with it.

Thanks for the input!
Seems like they are going down the high probability path first, which is fine. Replace the obviously damaged parts and reassess. With a live axle it is usually the axle/housing itself that will create the alignment issues, especially for camber. Caster could be frame, axle, or both. Wouldn't surprise me if both were at fault to some extent.

You didn't mention the steering components? Have they been inspected and assessed for damage? Just thinking through the "toe" issues as well...

I hope to get an update today. I asked them to closely inspect the steering components early on in this process and haven't heard of them finding any damage. I think they mostly suspect the axle, but we will see what they find on this next round of measurements.

Thanks, for the thoughts,I shared the same concern since much of the impact was absorbed into the wheel/tire.

Reactions: tJKrider
In addition to the axle, which was already mentioned, I would check that the drag link, track bar, and tie rod are all unbent. Then perhaps the control arms on the collision side. Then the frame, may be particularly the frame, since you have that cock-eyed thrust angle.

An impact on the wheel could affect any of those as the energy from the collision is transferred into the vehicle.

Thanks for the advice. The follow up yesterday is that the frame looks like it was tweaked a bit. Didn't get exact numbers from them but think around 1/4 inch or less. Also plan to replace front axle tube. Lower control arm has already been replaced because it was badly damaged.
Hopefully the frame pull and the axle housing will get us where we need to be.