Help finding backup switch replacement for 2007 JK 6-speed

Nick(NJ)

Hi everyone,

Just bought a 2007 JK unlimited X with 99K miles. I'm doing the normal mods... LED headlights, tune up, etc. So I'm trying to install LED backup lights but just noticed they don't work with stock bulb or LED. Voltage test...nothing. M31 fuse...good. So I think I'm down to 2 choices....bad Backup Switch...or broken wire. I figure the backup switch would be easier...but....I can't find it. Googled, You Tube, car parts stores, online stores, dealership part dept. nothing no one knows where its at on the trany. I found a switch on the passengers side, but it has 3 wires and the replacement part has 2 wires. And help, guesses, ideas, pictures of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

Thanks Chris. I know this is the listed part, but I can’t find it on the car. I found something that looks just like the part you posted on the trany, but it has a 3 pin connector. And the one you posted looks like it has 2 pins.

Thanks Chris. I know this is the listed part, but I can’t find it on the car. I found something that looks just like the part you posted on the trany, but it has a 3 pin connector. And the one you posted looks like it has 2 pins.

Oh man, I wish I could be of more help, but mine is an auto, so it wouldn't even be the same. I would think it would have to be somewhere on the transmission, and there's a good chance it's on the top side under the tunnel, which would understandably make it very hard to find. That would be my guess at least. I believe that's where it is on the TJs, which have the same NSG370 6-speed transmission as the JKs.

Thanks for the TJs have the same trany tip. That will give me possible search choices.

Yep, that would be worth looking into. They are the same transmission, though there may be slight variances. I do however suspect that the switch would be in the same location more than likely.

To all looking for the reverse backup switch I found it.....drivers side, almost top side of the tranny, just left and slightly forward of the shifter. Part of the switch is visible but just barely. FYI changed mine out but wasn’t the problem. I will post when/if I find the problem.

Reactions: Chris
I had a feeling that switch was way up there almost out of sight. You were able to reach it from the underside of the vehicle then I take it?

I hope you figure this one out.

Wow! What a battle. Long story short....electrical ghosts(voltage test good one minute, 8 volts next, zero next, and back to 12 volts). In the end I ran a new wire from the battery(w/fuse) to the trans backup switch and ran a new switch for the dash so I could turn the backup light on whenever I want. And then ran the wire all the way to the back drivers side light then across the passenger side backup light.

Possibly helpful info....

The backup trans switch has a weird star shaped bolt. A 8mm or 9mm socket worked.

The drivers side backup light runs from the light up over the left rear wheel(inside the cabin), then along both door sils, then under the front drivers seat. I never traced the passenger side(just cut and ran new from D. side).

The tranny switch is normally closed. Meaning when it's sitting on the count relaxed, with the switch button out, the switch pins have continuity. The trans keeps the switch button pressed in or "Off" and when reverse is selected the button is released and turns the switch "on" lighting the backup lights. Not what I would have guessed.

With the voltage ghosts the LED lights would be dim or sometime flickering really fast.

The LEDs I bought on Amazon for $20/pair and worked great. So bright you could not look right at them. And really help.

I hope this helps. Nick

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
Wow, thanks for the info. So do you think all of this is a result of the LED lights, or are they not related?

I know sometimes LEDs can cause weird issues if the vehicle didn't come equipped with them.

No, I don't think so. The lights were not working when I started so I knew it had a some pre-LED issues. Best guess...something with the feed/line wire. The voltage coming to the tranny switch would drop if any load was placed on it. Not sure how the volts could drop with almost no load(LEDs use almost zero watts/amps).

I know some LED blinker replacements have problems, but that has to do with the part that makes it blink needs the bulb load for the blink timing. And they blink really fast because of the lack of load.