Hard top to Soft top

rjohn

Has anyone switched from a hard top to a soft top on a JK model and if so, what are your thoughts on advantages/disadvantages? Best brand, recommendations, costs, etc?

Best move you can make switching tops. I installed the Supertop NX made by Bestop last week and love it. I almost dropped the windshield over the weekend 😁😁😁

20210601_193123.jpg

Reactions: Largehit71
Brand is certainly bestop. I flip back to hardtop late fall and put the softop on as early as I can.

I have a premium OEM top off a 13 I found on craigslist. The premium material is very worth the extra price.

If price is no object get bestops newest edition, the one that does away with zippers and is what the JLs have. They made a version for the JK now and that would be my pic.

if you find a used one get one from 2012 up. (could be 2011) bestop switched to cable tension at that point, rather than having to slot the top into the door surrounds. much easier to deal with, seems to be better for flapping as well.

advantages:
1. it makes the Jeep a true convertible, a ton easier to put it all the way down and back up.
2. lighter than a hardtop.
3. I rarely run the AC in the summers (its in the 90s this week and I just have the rear windows removed, top still up safari style.

disadvantages:
1. less security
2. back window (zipper models) doesn't just pop up, you have to unzip it to get full rear access. Not hard, but not as easy as just lifting.
3. More noise when driving. I like being connected to what is going on around me, so not a big deal, Interstate speeds and semis can get a bit loud.

Reactions: JerryD and mrjp
Brand is certainly bestop. I flip back to hardtop late fall and put the softop on as early as I can.

I have a premium OEM top off a 13 I found on craigslist. The premium material is very worth the extra price.

If price is no object get bestops newest edition, the one that does away with zippers and is what the JLs have. They made a version for the JK now and that would be my pic.

if you find a used one get one from 2012 up. (could be 2011) bestop switched to cable tension at that point, rather than having to slot the top into the door surrounds. much easier to deal with, seems to be better for flapping as well.

advantages:
1. it makes the Jeep a true convertible, a ton easier to put it all the way down and back up.
2. lighter than a hardtop.
3. I rarely run the AC in the summers (its in the 90s this week and I just have the rear windows removed, top still up safari style.

disadvantages:
1. less security
2. back window (zipper models) doesn't just pop up, you have to unzip it to get full rear access. Not hard, but not as easy as just lifting.
3. More noise when driving. I like being connected to what is going on around me, so not a big deal, Interstate speeds and semis can get a bit loud.
When you switch back to the hard top. How much of the soft top do you have to take off. ??

Pretty much the whole thing. The newer (2010 and up) have small brackets that bolt to the rear roll cage that can be left on, but other than that you have to store the top and door surrounds someplace. Garage if you have it, but I just have small shed and I don't trust the mice that rule it to leave the top alone, so it finds a home in the basement.

Reactions: mrjp and SteveF
Pretty much the whole thing. The newer (2010 and up) have small brackets that bolt to the rear roll cage that can be left on, but other than that you have to store the top and door surrounds someplace. Garage if you have it, but I just have small shed and I don't trust the mice that rule it to leave the top alone, so it finds a home in the basement.
Thank you.