Gas tank skid plate replacement

I had one on order from Summit for like 8 months for my son's JK. Finally, I just cancelled it thinking I could find a place out west that would ship one but I haven't circled back to it yet. I'll have to look a Jegs (although I thought they were sister companies).

• Wow
Reactions: mrjp
Oh, figures. The 2dr is more expensive than the 4dr. I see Jegs has one for the 2dr and it says "new item". Wonder if the Dorman part is as good as the Mopar.

Reactions: BigAL07
A Rock Hard 4x4 chat told me he would install their skid over the old one and go wheeling. That would work short term, but hate to leave that rusted in half factory plate under there as the tank will eventually fall.

I did find 1 that called itself a
  • Direct Replacement To Factory Skid
at Clayton Off Road, Inc - it is shaped similar to factory and made like a real steel skid plate (3/16 ")- but it comes unpainted. Anyone with experience with this product? No reviews on the site.

Reactions: JerryD
A Rock Hard 4x4 chat told me he would install their skid over the old one and go wheeling. That would work short term, but hate to leave that rusted in half factory plate under there as the tank will eventually fall.

I did find 1 that called itself a
  • Direct Replacement To Factory Skid
at Clayton Off Road, Inc - it is shaped similar to factory and made like a real steel skid plate (3/16 ")- but it comes unpainted. Anyone with experience with this product? No reviews on the site.
Having been done the operation putting an aftermarket over the factory would award you with a bit more time as half the bolts are shared... but only about half. The entire inner and rear bolts are not used by the aftermarket ones, and at least for the 'rubicon' one I got, I had to drill into the factory skid plate to install the aftermarket plate.

The one that @Anybodyhome linked looks like a two door to me. The pic here is me realizing how happy I was I ordered this and the dawning realization that there was really no way the aftermarket one was going to work. Compared to the original part. Odd that two door ones are more expensive. They were cheaper when I was looking. I'd get excited about a price only to realize it was a two door.

I'm in no way fully endorsing JEGs, it worked for me the one time I ordered from it. It was a bit delayed, but many things were then.

I ordered this after receiving an aftermarket that I don't have pictures of. So the install of that complicated my overall install.
Don't expect this to go fast. You are probably (depending on where you live) soak the bolts to get them out. I had one break off in the frame. I'm fine with that. Thankfully the extractor that broke while trying to remove that bolt was a matco, so my buddy I borrowed it from was covered.

qY1ri5yegv4YuuyKY9Sg3r2mgg=w687-h912-no?authuser=0.jpg
TmWAU24gwNnLaWz1M1-5cVRK2w=w687-h912-no?authuser=0.jpg
14dpclxascOJgqAPSw81wZdTHw=w687-h912-no?authuser=0.jpg

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPY2DyQs2TRmjAMXVr2yq9qwyMy8HsRs7T33eAg
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPY2DyQs2TRmjAMXVr2yq9qwyMy8HsRs7T33eAg

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07