Factory JKU Running Boards Strength?

TKRoll

Long time listener, first time caller...

Background:
I‘ve recently switched for TJ to JKU, and in the process of making an overland rig out of it.

Question:
Does anyone have a first hand account of the factory running boards failing when smashed into rocks? I know the TJ running boards couldn’t withstand much, but the ones on the JK appear they might take a beating. Not that I’m going rock crawling, but may find myself high centered on a rock more often then the average bear.

I’d rather save my money if they can handle moderate abuse.

I welcome first hand accounts and pictures are always great.

Thanks

Not on a JK, but on a TJ the factory running boards will fail very easily if smashed into a rock. They simply aren't meant to take hits like that, and it's the same thing on a JK as well. You'd need some purpose built rock sliders for that with built-in steps.

I know the TJ running boards weren’t capable of taking much abuse. I had JCR crusader rock sliders on my TJ, but wanna know just how much abuse these JKU running boards can take. They seem pretty beefy, and seem to have a steel beam under all that plastic.

So the question I’m putting out to the world, who has had first hand experience with them surviving and or failing and what were the details of your exploits.

Everyone I know, immediately puts rock sliders on, or has them... and I’m just curious, if we never test them how do we know????

Thanks

The Factory Rubicon rails work well, I have 1 scrape from a waterfall that I hit pretty hard, no dent, just scrape. I had the side of the jeep against the bolder, no body or fender damage, it slid the thing right around.
Frank

The factory Rubicon rails on the JK work very well actually. It's the factory steps / running boards that don't.

Two totally different things, so that's worth noting (y)

Reactions: Danarch
I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I bought a pair of 2008 JK original equipment running boards. The four bolts that attached them to both sides on the bottom of the frame rail we're not included. Does anyone know what size bolts those require? Thank you for your help.

I recently replaced my factory Sahara running boards with metal. The factory running boards still looked ok but I had cracked them sliding across obstacles, overall I was impressed at how much abuse they took. They are not meant to support the Jeep, they flex! All the abuse i put them through they had a crack on the underside and would flex enough to be against the body but never failed! I used them until I was ready to upgrade

Reactions: mrjp