Engine "ticking" (not rockers or lifters)

jd22122

So a little background- 2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys Auto - approx 60k Miles - front end hit rebuilt title.

Had no engine issues from the accident, but within 3,000 miles of owning it(driven lightly as a secondary fun ride) I recently was driving home from work when my CEL started flashing, and the engine sounded like it was louder on acceleration. Felt like it was shaking pretty good inside the jeep, especially at red lights and stops. I pulled over and had a buddy come and we decided it was safe enough to drive another half mile to advanced to pull codes. CEL was already solid for months with no flashing due to me being cheap on welding up a hole in my drivers side cat. No decrease in power from that, and was running fine around 17-18 mpgs so I believe it was and still isn't clogged. Code was told to us as a multiple misfire cyl 4. Later found some oil spray in my air filter. I thought I smelled gas as I drove it, and some thicker colored exhaust smoke in higher quantities.

We first replaced the plug for that cyl, and the coil. The engine light stopped flashing and dinging constantly, but I'm riding rough still. Compression for that cyl. was around 150 lbs. we tested it prior to doing the plug/coil.

Fast forward to now, we broke down both sides and replaced all rockers, lifters, and the passenger side intake cam as there were some metal shavings found , and that cam looked like it was starting to get some wear(on the sides not middle of the lobe) on the back lobes from rockers. Replaced all the plugs even the newly replaced plug with irridium champions. Swapped the oil and filter out as well. New air filter as well. Fired right up, but still has the same ticking and rough idle.

Current Issues are it feels like a slight delay in starting, and still ticking the same as before. We're convinced its not a knock , but its noticeable IMO, and rhythmic, Most noticeable at idle, or low rpms, if you give it gas it seems to get drowned out the faster you go, but probably the first bit of acceleration it does slightly increase in sound.

At a complete loss for what it could be. Would a stuck open PCV cause this type of rough ride/sound/behavior? Is the noise I'm hearing a bad injector, or all of it a bad injector? I can't seem to find anyone with similar issues. I assume at this point the metal shavings were from a cam problem that would have been an issue coming soon, but it didnt fix what caused my episode.

If anyone can help please do , I'm about to just sell the thing as I've thrown so much time and money into this recent issue and it still isn't any better. :(

A miss fire can also be a fuel injector, or the wiring for it. I read where the way a wiring harness was ran it was causing with the wires inside of it. I don't remember what years that was for either.

Reactions: BigAL07
So, you installed a few things not MOPAR that will piss off a JK. They are very picky and, if they don't get their way, they will let you know.
You may need to do a system (ECM) reset so the diagnostics can relearn all the new/non-Mopar stuff you put in it. When you start replacing plugs, plug wires, coils, etc. and they're not OEM, stand by for some issues.

I am having a similar problem!
2017 jku

I was on a drive home and was cruising at 65-70 on the freeway, when my Jeep pretty much derated and wouldn’t go over 40mph. Was luckily right at an exit, got off the freeway and checked the CEL codes they were for random misfires. Further on things came up as I dug into it more…

As of now I’ve replaced the following parts all due to a problem revealing it’s self down the line...

((ALL OEM/MOPAR PARTS))
Replaced Spark plugs
Replaced Oil cooler
Replaced Oil pump
Replaced Oil filter & housing
Replaced Thermostat
Replaced Rocker arms
Replaced Lifters
Replaced Both Cats

I’ve checked for the following and all was good or working properly..

Checked Cams
Checked for Rod knocks (not a rod knock)
Checked Timing chain
Checked Both pullies
Checked Tensioner

The ticking seems to be coming from the front of the engine… the ticking at idle (definitely noticeable) at 1500rpm (very noticeable/ sorta loud) at 2k rpm just about goes away…

Ive put a lot of time/money into this Jeep all around, now a lot more time/money trying to solve this problem. I can’t seem to figure it out, has anyone got an idea as to what it could be?? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! PLEASE HELP!

I have a similar issue with my 2015 jk. Only exception is it doesn’t idle rough and is not throwing an engine error. Just a darn tick at low idle. Goes away as soon as you step on the gas.

You think it would be more noticeable at the top, bottom, front or back of the motor?

I would think towards the front. I mean ticking sound is going to be hard to diagnose without seeing it, it could be a lot of things.

Just throwing that out there as a bad harmonic can make ticking sounds. Could always feel around behind it to see if it's missing chunks of rubber and throwing it off balance.

I'd say if it changes with RPM that might be even more of an indicator that that's one of the possibilities.

Reactions: BigAL07 and kbar691
I would think towards the front. I mean ticking sound is going to be hard to diagnose without seeing it, it could be a lot of things.

Just throwing that out there as a bad harmonic can make ticking sounds. Could always feel around behind it to see if it's missing chunks of rubber and throwing it off balance.

I'd say if it changes with RPM that might be even more of an indicator that that's one of the possibilities.
I know what you mean on being hard to diagnose where the sound is coming from. You can damn near convince yourself it comes from anywhere!!

Just throwing this out there also. Got a 07 ruby with 89k on her. Had a tick on the left side of the engine that was driving me ape ####. Could not find it. Bought a stethoscope and searched all over but could not track it down. Under the advice of a friend I gave her a little dose of atf fluid. Ran it about 20 miles. Did an oil change. This time I used royal purple 5w30. Pricey, but worth a shot I said. I can honestly say say now that I tried it I will never use any other oil. After about 200 miles my engine is as quiet as the day I bought it. Thanked my buddy and drank a 6er with my hood up!

Reactions: Vman
Just throwing this out there also. Got a 07 ruby with 89k on her. Had a tick on the left side of the engine that was driving me ape ####. Could not find it. Bought a stethoscope and searched all over but could not track it down. Under the advice of a friend I gave her a little dose of atf fluid. Ran it about 20 miles. Did an oil change. This time I used royal purple 5w30. Pricey, but worth a shot I said. I can honestly say say now that I tried it I will never use any other oil. After about 200 miles my engine is as quiet as the day I bought it. Thanked my buddy and drank a 6er with my hood up!

I've heard the same thing with switching to OEM oil filters. Think I even saw a video on it once.

Reactions: BigAL07
By purge valve do you mean PCV valve?
Nope. This guy. It's over on the passenger side by the fuse box and battery.

190360.jpg

Reactions: Threepointsix