Engine swap compatibility

Phill87

Supporting Member
I have a. 08 wrangler jk. Unlimited and I want to put a better motor in without replacing the transmission and everything else. I'm not sure what my best options are for compatibility and power. I know anything is better than what's in it now.

I don't think that is possible without replacing the transmission. No company makes a adapter to go from a different engine to the Chrysler trans.

Ok. Well that's not the worst situation. I have looked up motors and there are about 13 options from inline 6 motors to v8 but I know the v8 will take alot more work and parts than say a nice inline 6 but still I know very little and this was the 1st place I thought of to get some good advice from informed individuals

I have a GM 4.3 engine and auto trans waiting for mine to die, knowing my luck the darn thing will out live me.

Ok. Well that's not the worst situation. I have looked up motors and there are about 13 options from inline 6 motors to v8 but I know the v8 will take alot more work and parts than say a nice inline 6 but still I know very little and this was the 1st place I thought of to get some good advice from informed individuals

Jeep speed shop and some others offer kits for doing the swap.

It's a lot more than just the engine though. Radiator, exhaust, intake, computer and other things will cost about $10k.

Then you need an engine and transmission.

If you want a v8 the hemi is a great option as another mopar engine will be the simplest install and to work on in the future.

You can pair an 8 speed tranny with the hemi, which solves a number of issues like gearing and tire size. Lot more flexibility than you have with the 4 speed 42RLE auto in the '08.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Well I have spent quite a bit of time looking into the l.s. and the hemi conversion and they are far too expensive lol. At 170k miles should I just rebuild the motor or spend the money fixing the seals and hope it doesn't blow up? I've been told the 3.8 struggles after 180k miles

The 3.8 is a pretty long lasting engine. I would say longer than the 3.6. I'm almost to 210k on mine.

JK gear and gadgets did a very comprehensive collection of videos on putting a hemi into a jeep. He even walks you through the cost of everything. I highly suggest looking at his vids to get an idea of what you are getting into. Anything other than stock is going to be a big project.