Do I need a new cat from stuck O2 sensor?

oldirtyblake

Hi!

2013 JK with 84k miles. Got a code for a bad O2 sensor for bank 1 sensor 2. Tried everything under gods green earth to get that thing out and could not. Got the special wrench adapter, PB spray, heat, cut the wire and tried a box wrench, and nothing. I noticed it starting to strip so I stopped. Took it down to the muffler shop this morning to see if they could get it off. Just got a call from them that they cant get it out, cant put in a new bung in , and it would need a new catalytic converter for $1,200.

Is this accurate? Are they any other alternatives?

if a new cat converter is next steps is this something easy to replace. Im moderately handy but it it requires too much effort/time is it worth having a professional do it.

Thanks all
Sad Wrangler Owner

I forget what size the threads are but if it comes out i'd try running a tap in it to clean it up, i'd think you could have enough to hold one in there.

You'll have to get that bung cherry red to get it to come out.

Reactions: tJKrider
Worst case. Cut off the bung with an angle grinder. might need to weld a patch over the hole before you can weld on a new bung. There's no reason removing the bung will destroy the cat. But it's entirely possible that the cat is already bad, and THAT is what spoiled the O2 sensor in the first place. In which case, $1200 may be reasonable, depending on prices in your area.
If you can weld, replacing a cat is no big deal. If you can't, then it is.

Reactions: tJKrider