Did I buy a used Lemon?

M.2_2016BlackBear

Schroeder_VailCO
Supporting Member
Hello everyone!

I decided buy a 2016 Jeep Wrangler June 1st, 2024. I figured it was a good time for me to finally get a jeep because I got a new job and have extra time now. Because I bought a used jeep, I put aside 5k because I wanted to be prepared for repairs and some mods.

Below is a breakdown with what what I’m experiencing since I bought the car.

Day 1
Test Drive was fine to me. I bought the car in Denver and drove it back to my place in Vail.

Day 2
Started the car, and it didn’t sound the same as the day before. Sounded like the engine was working harder to keep the car at idle. Also RPMs were a little unsteady until it the engine was warm. After around 10 minutes when I would come to a complete stop and go to accelerate I would hear a loud knock in the back. I checked if anything was loose and it sounds like it’s coming from the differential. Later on, I got on the highway and gear shifts were not smooth. Sometimes it would go to 6RPM’s and it wouldn’t shift until I let my foot off the gas. But as soon as I put my foot back on the gas it shifts hard and almost jerks the car. At the end of the day the AC made the engine sound like it was about to die.

Day 3
No matter the speed, shifting is not smooth. I think it’s not shifting to the correct gears. Noticed my coolant is almost out and my gas is being sucked up, but when I turn off the car and turn it back on it goes back to the usual level it was at. Car is pulling sometimes to the left or right when going past 3RPMs and noticed an uneven wobble when at 4RPM’s or higher.

Day 4
Noticing my engine temperature has went up slightly when the car is warm. I’m now getting delayed responses when I press the gas pedal. It’s at the point now where I have to hit the gas pedal just right and at the right time to accelerate.

With that being said I’m new to this community and I’ve been reading some threads and taking notes. But, looking at my notes It could be a lot of components that could be causing the issues I’m experiencing. I did buy the car from a dealership and there is a 3 month powertrain warranty. It’s also my first car purchase from a dealership and I’m just worried they will try to take advantage of me. So I’m asking for help with what some possible options are.

Thanks for the reply!

I bought it from a dealer and I’m taking it down to Denver next Tuesday for the mechanics to take a look at it.

I scheduled an appointment for Monday at the Chrysler dealership to do an inspection just in case the dealer in Denver tries to do anything shady.

Reactions: tJKrider