Death Wobble Hitting Bumps

cwc2100

Hello everyone. I have a 2012 Jk with a 3 inch RC lift and have had death wobble for a few months now. I have built multiple Jeep’s and have fixed DW before but can’t seem to find the cause of this one. It only happens when hitting a hard bump at 45mph. I have replaced the track bar, drag link, steering stabilizer, tie rod and tie rod ends, Ball Joints, Upper and Lower control arms, and have had new tires and alignments done multiple times. I don’t see any play in any other joints and have given up. If anyone has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a few things you can try.

Put the wheels on the ground and get under it while someone wiggles the steering back and forth few inch's. Look and feel for what parts are moving. Particularly at mounting bolts / points. Put the axles on jack stands, then take a pry bar and try to lift up the the tire. That's a good way to check for ball joint looseness that may not be apparent with bare hands.

What size tire are you running? if its not stock, then you need to find a tire shop that can truly balance a larger tire.

Reactions: Anybodyhome
Hello everyone. I have a 2012 Jk with a 3 inch RC lift and have had death wobble for a few months now. I have built multiple Jeep’s and have fixed DW before but can’t seem to find the cause of this one. It only happens when hitting a hard bump at 45mph. I have replaced the track bar, drag link, steering stabilizer, tie rod and tie rod ends, Ball Joints, Upper and Lower control arms, and have had new tires and alignments done multiple times. I don’t see any play in any other joints and have given up. If anyone has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

When you say replaced control arms and track bar did you put adjustable ones on? With a 3" lift on these Jeeps they have to be so that the Alignment will be right.

The older Jeeps were leaf spring suspension, coil spring suspension is completely different.

This sounds like bump steer and can be caused by your drag link and track bar not being parallel. Had this in mine and used a track bar relocation bracket to fix it. Good luck.

This sounds like bump steer and can be caused by your drag link and track bar not being parallel. Had this in mine and used a track bar relocation bracket to fix it. Good luck.

The bad thing with the track bar bracket is that you can't fine tune the axle so it fits in the center of the Jeep. You need adjustable front and rear to make sure they are centered.

I have a 2012 jk with a 4 1/2" Metalcloak lift and 37" tires. I would get a wobble when I would hit a pot hole or manhole cover. Replaced my ball joints with Teraflex and problem went away.

Reactions: mrjp and Lxxtsy
Did you check your trackbar holes to see if they are wallowed out? If you Google "Planman death wobble", he has an extensive list of things to go over for solving death wobble.

Reactions: mrjp