Coolant Leak on 2012 3.6L

markreed12

Coolant was rather low low the other day, so I topped it off. Slowly has dropped the past couple days, but got an overheating warning while coming down my street, followed by a hot oil warning after a few minutes of trying to remedy. After attempting to alleviate by adding fresh coolant, I heard coolant hitting the dirt, so I crawled underneath and saw coolant running down from somewhere above the oil pan. Hoping it's just a hose or something, but I can't seeming to see the source. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: leak only begin when running, additionally, slight wafts of white steam/smoke are coming from engine bay (I cannot determine the source).

Last edited:
It sure if this is your original 2012, but 10 years hoses can go, so can water pump.

I always start simple.

1. You’ve got to work this, so don’t put any more coolant in for now. I’d put in distilled water and fill it.

2. Run it and follow hoses. Hoses to heater core and to water pump.

3. Check the thermostat and water pump.

4 doesn’t sound like a radiator issue, it’s something that is leaking and pushing it out onto something hot that burns it.

Reactions: Danarch and mrjp
It sure if this is your original 2012, but 10 years hoses can go, so can water pump.

I always start simple.

1. You’ve got to work this, so don’t put any more coolant in for now. I’d put in distilled water and fill it.

2. Run it and follow hoses. Hoses to heater core and to water pump.

3. Check the thermostat and water pump.

4 doesn’t sound like a radiator issue, it’s something that is leaking and pushing it out onto something hot that burns it.
So don’t you need to keep looking at the details and find the leak, then change the component

Reactions: mrjp