Compass reassembled 180° out?

SNBahr

I recently had maitenance performed requiring disassembly of dash. Now after several attempts to recal. compass with a couple variances, (8 & 9, for 68355 postal code area) I'm lead to believe the compass was installed 180° out. Is this even possible?

I did it when I was messing with my radio, if I remember correctly just pop the cover off on top of the radio and it's under there. It's just stuck down with some sticky tape pull it loose and turn it.

Reactions: Chris
Chris, Thanks for reply but appears I have to remove driver's side of dash to access. This is somewhat more than I had anticipated. Anymore easier fixes?

My Jk is a 2008 so then if yours isn't where mine is it's because it's a 2013. Mine was just to the left side of the radio right under the cover on top of the dash in the center.

Thank you for reply, 125 mi. away from dealer. So it is possible to reassemble incorrectly. Service personnel lead me to believe compass could only go in one way.

If it functioned before they took it apart obviously they put it back together wrong. Call the dealership and work your way up the chain of command until you get something from them.

I was in the calibration field for a while. If it is pure 180 off, and you really need that compass one day. Just add or subtract 180 to get your true pilot bearing. And remember as you approach the North Pole, the grid north 219 Mils declination narrows. Or you can wait for planet earth's iron core to rotate again, and all our compasses will be 180 off. LOL.