Cloudy coolant?

sims_antle

Hey guys, new to the forum. sorry if this isn't the preffered place for this. i did a search and i wasn't finding anything similar to what im looking for so here goes.

I'm new to jeeps. worked on bunches of vehicles in the past but never jeeps. fast forward to last week. my wife bought a new to her 2013 JKU with 55k on the clock from what i thought was a reputable dealer. within a couple days of buying, it threw a code so i brought it back to the dealer to see if they would at least read it for me. they said they could schedule me a time next week to get it checked out but wouldn't even read the code. i got the code read on my way home and it turned out to be P0128 "coolant not getting to temp fast enough", no big deal. its going to be either the thermostat or the coolant temperature sensor right? to save being without the vehicle for a day i figured i would just fix it myself.

so today i bought a replacement thermostat and pulled the old one off. when i did so i caught the coolant that spilled out and this is where my real concerns start. the coolant is opaque. in my experience this is never a good thing. would this be a trans problem? i've heard of transmission lines blowing in other vehicles and ATF mixing with coolant creating a "milkshake" like this. to the best of my understanding this rig should be using OAT coolant, correct? would it get cloudy like this if someone mixed HOAT and OAT? I checked the transmission fluid, and from what i could get off the dipstick it didn't look too bad. at least not from what i could tell.

does anyone have any insight for me? i plan to drain and replace all the coolant tomorrow, and then monitor and see if it gets cloudy again. does this sound reasonable?

see attached picture for what the coolant looked like..

Thanks guys!@\

20191207_162820.jpg

Yes (OAT is for 2013) was mixed with HOAT. Go buy the Mopar coolant from the dealership to get the right spec. for peace of mind. I do not trust the wally world.
HOAT/OAT mix will mess up the internal cavities of 3.6L if you do not flush it and it's going to be costly if you wait longer.

Last edited: