Cargo Area Light For 2-Door Soft Top?

F

FLGeezer

The dome light in my 2dr soft top JK doesn't reach the cargo area at all. Trying to dig out tools, etc at night is a problem without a flashlight. Was wondering what you guys have done, if anything, to add more light.

With a soft top there's not a lot of mounting options for like a standalone LED "puck" light. Maybe mount a puck light on the inside of the tailgate?

I did run across this Rollbar Mounted LED Light which looks interesting. I'd have to mount it to one of the side vertical roll bars, but that would be better than nothing.

Thoughts?

Any of the various lamps that strap to your head. If you're doing this at night, you'll appreciate the light for the work, too.

Reactions: Danarch
Have the head lamps everywhere here, cause the power goes out a lot. Beats that heavy battery pulling my pants down like a rapper, and thick electrical core to my helmet when I work the mines in the 80s.

Beats that heavy battery pulling my pants down like a rapper, and thick electrical core to my helmet when I work the mines in the 80s.
Back in the 70s I did a lot of spelunking using a carbide lamp on my helmet.

Back in the 70s I did a lot of spelunking using a carbide lamp on my helmet.
Technology has improved. I spelunk underwater. My primary light has a battery pack that's about 3" in diameter and 10" long. It hangs on my waist. The light head is on soft goodman handle on my left hand. Makes 30,000 Lux and burns for about 12 hours.

I’ve done a little scuba diving and after having too many close calls in dry caves there’s no way in hell I’d do underwater caving. :(

Reactions: Dirty Dog
I’ve done a little scuba diving and after having too many close calls in dry caves there’s no way in hell I’d do underwater caving. :(
Different strokes (see what I did there?) for different folks. The vast majority of divers stay recreational and never do any technical diving, and that's a good thing. You don't do caves with a little diving; you do them with a LOT of diving. :)

I’m considering running LED tape light down both sides of the rear cargo area (under the tub lip, above the wheel wells), on both of our Wranglers.
I’ll tie them in with the existing dome light circuit using T-clips.

I bought a Roll Bar LED Light from Amazon. Mounted it today and tested it after it got dark. It'll do. Enough light to see to get to my toolbag, etc. I did put a short strip of black electrical tape just above the on/off switch to block the light from shining into my eyes through the back window.

Takes 3 AAA batteries. The battery compartment is a bitch to open. This thing has a magnet running the length of the light also, but I tested it on my refrigerator and it's not very strong. Would be ok on a non-moving object.

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Reactions: Dirty Dog