Can I tow an Expedition 2.0?

peterkennett

I have a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited, automatic, with 4.10 gears. Will I have trouble towing an Expedition 2.0 off-grid trailer?

UVW: 1,800 lbs.
Hitch Weight: 290 lbs.

I plan to have about 1,200 lbs of additional weight on it - so about 3000 lbs total.
The Jeep itself will be basically empty. Two passengers.

Off-Grid-Trailers-Expedition-web copy copy.jpg

Reactions: Claymore
It looks like alot of tongue weight so i'd say you should put air bags on the JK.

Is that 290 lbs when the trailer is empty from the factory?

Reactions: mrjp
I have a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited, automatic, with 4.10 gears. Will I have trouble towing an Expedition 2.0 off-grid trailer?

UVW: 1,800 lbs.
Hitch Weight: 290 lbs.

I plan to have about 1,200 lbs of additional weight on it - so about 3000 lbs total.
The Jeep itself will be basically empty. Two passengers.

View attachment 120415
Nice trailer!

3000lbs is getting up there but it's doable.

Might want to look into the Old Man Emu really heavy duty rear springs or airbags.

I'd also put in a heavier gear oil in the diff and maybe some ebrakes.

Reactions: mrjp
So, looking at the specs on the trailer: 290lb tongue wt, 1700lb dry and the picture is essentially an unaltered trailer from the manufacturer.
The weight is fine for your JKU, however, as others before me mentioned, it may put a squat on the back half of your JKU that may cause some steering issues. Hook it up and if you see the ride height of your JKU change significantly (3+"), I'd probably beef up the springs and/or add air bags.
That is a pretty badass trailer, though. Have fun!

The Switchback models have a tongue weight 150lbs less than the Expedition and a dry weight of about 400lbs less. That's a towable rig with no mods.

If you have stock size rims and tires you will be fine on power. Oversize rims and tires you may struggle a bit in some areas.

Reactions: BLACKJKU