Can’t seem to find a leak

TahoeJim

2013 JKU, ~70k miles but well cared for. I'm second owner; purchased last year.

I've noticed occasionally very slight smell to me like burning antifreeze but could be burning something else (I'm not a mechanic but have owned enough used cars to have experienced a few problems...)
Anyway, yesterday took daughter for a 1 1/2 hr hike. I had parked on a down slope, and when I came back there was a 18"x6" wet spot under the front diff, with a light red liquid on top of the diff, dripping off steering stabilizer, and droplets sprayed on the inside of the front drivers side tire.
Did a run for takeout after the hike and when we got home I left it outside to not get fluids in my garage.

No leak on driveway last night, nothing this morning. I'd originally thought transmission or steering due to reading this forum. However, turns out my antifreeze is also red! Could not see anything obvious and all runs fine. Still have antifreeze in the reservoir, tho maybe needs a small top-up.

I'm stumped as I'm not seeing anything obvious. anyone here have any ideas? Driveway is a gentle up slope if that matters. I just can't understand why I'd have big spot of fluid in the hills and nothing at home (only difference being the parking slope I brought up). I can just keep driving until the problem becomes obvious but that makes me nervous....
Maybe some has seen this before?
6BC95D85-7710-4ED7-8164-4D03254D8CBB.jpeg

That's probably antifreeze, look to see if it's running down the sides of the block or front of the engine.

Reactions: mrjp
I suspect a coolant reservoir overflow, especially if it's coming from the driver's side. Notice any difference in the temp, or have you recently done a coolant flush or had any service work done? Really sounds like too much coolant in the system.

Reactions: mrjp
Great tips thanks. I double checked the overflow tube and it looks attached and is dry, but seeing the location of the reservoir, it would make sense that it was coming from there. It's almost directly over the front dif.
I haven't had any work done recently. There is some coolant in the reservoir but not a lot. Temp has been right in the middle last couple drives yesterday/today. I can't remember if I was running below middle or not.

Any ideas what would cause coolant to overflow? I'd think if the reservoir wasn't full it shouldn't overflow? but for sure you make a good point... the reservoir overflow outlet is in a good position for the spill I saw.

Great tips thanks. I double checked the overflow tube and it looks attached and is dry, but seeing the location of the reservoir, it would make sense that it was coming from there. It's almost directly over the front dif.
I haven't had any work done recently. There is some coolant in the reservoir but not a lot. Temp has been right in the middle last couple drives yesterday/today. I can't remember if I was running below middle or not.

Any ideas what would cause coolant to overflow? I'd think if the reservoir wasn't full it shouldn't overflow? but for sure you make a good point... the reservoir overflow outlet is in a good position for the spill I saw.

Have you noticed the engine running hotter then normal? A bad radiator cap could cause a problem.

Is the reservoir withing the level it shows, a overfilled reservoir at the cold level would possibly make it overflow when the engine was hot.

If you check the reservoir coolant level when the engine is hot, the level is fairly low. You almost need a flashlight to see the hot and cold level line on the side of the reservoir.
If you check the coolant level in the reservoir when it's cold, it'll be higher.
Never figured out why they didn't make the fill lines more clear on an opaque white reservoir.... sheesh...

Reactions: mrjp and JerryD
If you check the reservoir coolant level when the engine is hot, the level is fairly low. You almost need a flashlight to see the hot and cold level line on the side of the reservoir.
If you check the coolant level in the reservoir when it's cold, it'll be higher.
Never figured out why they didn't make the fill lines more clear on an opaque white reservoir.... sheesh...
If I am not mistaken, it is the other way around, hot coolant expands causing over flow if you over filed the reservoir when cool.

If I am not mistaken, it is the other way around, hot coolant expands causing over flow if you over filed the reservoir when cool.
Right, I'm saying the coolant level is proper if, when the engine is hot, the coolant level is at the lower limit line. Likewise, when the engine is cold the coolant level should be at the upper limit line.
You are correct, if you add coolant to an already hot engine when the reservoir is at its proper level, you'll likely lose coolant.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
Forgot to update this thread with the solution.
Turns out I had a small leak in the thermostat housing cover. As it turns out the location for the thermostat is roughly over the front diff, which is why the diff and steering stabilizer were dripping with coolant.

I didn't find this... i brought my jeep into a local shop when my Jeep overheated. No damage from the overheating... luckily pulled into my driveway just as it started belching coolant.
The overheating was caused by my fan not operating. :) Shop said I needed a new $600 fan plus $200 install. Then I found this post: https://realjenius.com/2018/06/28/pentastar_radiator_fan/ and solved the problem by cleaning/tightening all the connections.

Thanks for help/suggestions. Posting in case someone else has similar problems and comes here looking for a solution.