Build plan? Am I missing something?

Gatorlaw

2012 JKU Sahara. It has the Hd tow package so I think I have 3.73 gears. Ultimate plan is to go to 37” or maybe 40” tires. Currently running 33”.

To get there I have a lot of upgrades so it will be staged. First will be to lift. Looking at Metalcloak 4.0 game changer. 33” will look too small (so will 35) but that will allow me to keep the stock flairs until I go bigger on the tires.

Then I will upgrade the axles to accommodate larger tires (Dana 60 seems the way to go).

Then get the tires and wheel flairs.

Does this sound like a reasonable order or? Should I just wait until I can do it all at once?

If you're lifting your JKU 4"everything is going to look small except the 40's. But if you go with 40's, you'll need to regear:

jk-tire-gear-chart-jpg.jpg

S
I was planning regear when I did axels. Probably 5.13. That seems like a still streetable set up that can still work with 35s.
So, are you going to go from your current 33's to 35's and, ultimately, to 40's?

I have 3.73 with 35's and that setup works just fine for me with moderate trails and on the road. I could easily go to a 4.10, but the difference is so slight that it would be a waste of money unless I went to a 4.56, and I just don't see my off-road future needing that much gear.

2012 JKU Sahara. It has the Hd tow package so I think I have 3.73 gears. Ultimate plan is to go to 37” or maybe 40” tires. Currently running 33”.

To get there I have a lot of upgrades so it will be staged. First will be to lift. Looking at Metalcloak 4.0 game changer. 33” will look too small (so will 35) but that will allow me to keep the stock flairs until I go bigger on the tires.

Then I will upgrade the axles to accommodate larger tires (Dana 60 seems the way to go).

Then get the tires and wheel flairs.

Does this sound like a reasonable order or? Should I just wait until I can do it all at once?

You'll need driveshafts if you have OEM ones. The stock power steering is probably going to struggle pretty bad on 40's too.

I used a superchips on my lift (just running 35's) to set the 5.13 gear ratio and fix the speedo issue. Worked great.

You'll probably need to look into upgrading your braking too.

Big tires/big lift means replacing a whole lot of stuff.

You'll need driveshafts if you have OEM ones. The stock power steering is probably going to struggle pretty bad on 40's too.

I used a superchips on my lift (just running 35's) to set the 5.13 gear ratio and fix the speedo issue. Worked great.

You'll probably need to look into upgrading your braking too.

Big tires/big lift means replacing a whole lot of stuff.
I figured I would replace the drive shafts when I do the new axles (and regear at that time). The big brake kit will also be done with the new axles. Didn’t think about upgrading the power steering. Thanks for that update.

Reactions: Vman
I figured I would replace the drive shafts when I do the new axles (and regear at that time). The big brake kit will also be done with the new axles. Didn’t think about upgrading the power steering. Thanks for that update.

Sure thing!

I went with the full PSC big bore kit on mine, and couldn't be happier with it. I don't do a lot of crawling on big rocks so I went with the non-ported version.

Even without hydro assist though, steering is a night and day difference and you don't have to worry about your sector shaft being the weak link when turning those big 40's.