Brand new to Jeeps- help!

lolo_oh

Hi all! I am brand new to the Wrangler world, looking to buy my 1st one. I am looking for something as a 2nd vehicle, so mostly for fun and trying to stay in a reasonable price range since it wont be my main driver. Been eyeballing 2008-2012s mostly and I found one that I like, but I havent ever seen a top quite like it (see pic).
I want to have a hard and soft top for various seasons, but I wasnt sure how to go about finding or getting a hard top for a set up like this? I know its a silly question I'm sure, but I haven't seen how to have a hard top with the half doors. Can anyone take pity on a newb and help me to understand if this might be an okay vehicle option for me? Thank you!!!!
347560596_1419199212199670_29873627319570103_n.jpg

Reactions: Dlcain
What's on that Jeep is a pretty cool setup, but not for everyone. If you park outside, not so good for security. If you park in the garage - great.

That Jeep has the half-door option, which is pretty costly and desired by a lot when the top goes off. I wish I had them. Those windows are for those half doors for inclement weather or winter (Wranglers have great heaters).

If you bought that Jeep and wanted a hardtop, you could do it. But, if you wanted the security and function of glass windows/doors, you'd have to get full doors, which would cost you probably about $2000-$3000 on the used market, let alone having to paint match. But, if you don't need full doors, rock those doors with a hardtop if you want. But, as Dirty Dog stated in his post, it won't seal properly (and it prob doesn't on that soft top either), so minimize the rain exposure (or deal with it) and drive thru car washes. Just hand wash it.

As a 2nd vehicle, you could pull off a hardtop and leave that door set up if you garage your Jeep and if you decide to drive it to work or somewhere else - it's secure or low risk parking. Those doors will look badass when you go topless.

For me, I'd love that set up, as my JKU sits in a garage when it's not driven and I don't drive it to work (I would if I wasn't required to drive my work vehicle tho).

That's a sweet color BTW.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
I'm guessing that you are aiming for 2008 - 2012 for the price points you are seeing.

2007- 2011 had the 3.8 engine. It can last a long time, but it's underpowered and tends to burn oil.
2012 was the first year for the 3.6 engine and is a year we generally tell people to avoid, though if it made it this long perhaps it's fine.

The one you pictured is either a 2011 or 2012 in Sahara Tan. Great color, that is pretty close to the modern Gobi everyone likes. For a second vehicle, it is going to be hard to beat half doors. You can probably tell many of us here are instantly jealous. Yes, rain may get in, but you will have an easier time finding full doors than half, and hard tops are on Craigslist and marketplace all the time. Probably full doors as well.. though I've never looked for those.

Reactions: Dirty Dog