Best off-road CB radio

Jesse A

Hey everyone. I'm looking for opinions on what is a Good, easy to use cb, for off reading and over landing. Thanks

The Uniden PRO520XL is one of the best CB radios you can buy, and it's priced right too:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004VXNI/?tag=jkforum-20

The reviews don't lie. I've used it for a long time and it's absolutely excellent, compact, and won't disappoint. If you read around, you'll see it is one of the most highly recommended CB radios out there. Not saying there aren't other good ones, but this one is definitely one of the best.

Reactions: Daddyo2373
I've run Uniden PRO505XL for a while and really like it. The range on it is easily 3+ miles and it would probably get more range if i would actually tune the antenna too but it's a great set up right out of the box. A friend I wheel with uses the pro520 listed above and he loves it too.

Reactions: Chris
I bought a Galaxy SSB off of eBay and it was modded for me. I am using Wilson 5000 antennas, (twin setup) with mounts I bought off eBay too. I bought a powder-coated overhead rack and mounted the radio to that. The specialized CB antenna mounts I bought also came off eBay.

The antennas are mounted to the exterior area just forward of the A-Pillar. Originally, I had mounted to the hood area, but because of the weight of the antennas, I needed a stronger support mount.

With the dual setups, I have an SWR of 1:1, and I have no difficulties talking to truckers at 15 miles or so. The radio itself has an output of around 25 watts AM and 55 watts SSB,

I've run Uniden PRO505XL for a while and really like it. The range on it is easily 3+ miles and it would probably get more range if i would actually tune the antenna too but it's a great set up right out of the box. A friend I wheel with uses the pro520 listed above and he loves it too.
Where is your antenna mounted to get that range? What type antenna? Firestick?

Where is your antenna mounted to get that range? What type antenna? Firestick?

I have it mounted on the tailgate and sticks up above the roof line about 6 inches. I honestly don't know the brand of antenna. I bought it off of a friend who had an extra. It looks like a firestick but I don't believe it is.

Reactions: Chris
I bought my CB as a complete kit for about $30 and then upgraded the antenna, another $10, a year or so later. I'd rather use VHF or GMRS but I'm cheap and so are all the guys I wheel with so we just use CB. Haha