Best Drive-Up Campsites in Western NC

NC_JK_Rubicon

Hello all;

New here to this forum. I've owned my JK Rubicon for a little over 2 years and now that I've become more financial stable I'm ready to do more with it and start making some serious mods this year.

I'm sure I'll find a lot more information on lift kits and tires/wheels by perusing the board, but what I'm interested in is what are some good spots with great views or serene settings in the NC mountains that's great for getting in that itch for off-roading and doing some camping as well?

I have taken my JK through the Yellow Gap Fire Trail before just as a drive-through, and I've also been through some other fire trails in Pisgah as well as Nantahala. Looking for some spots you all may have been to in the past you would recommend.

Wife and I are currently trying to get back into shape (me more so than her due to medical reasons) so I'm not looking for lengthy hikes or spots I'd have to drag all of my gear to from the Jeep, but something we can pull up to and set up shop. I know there are a lot of camp sites just off the fire trails throughout the parks and that may be where we start. Eventually I want to get to where we can hike to a spot that overlooks a gorge or valley with immaculate views and set up for the weekend.

Any recommendations you may have would be welcome. Native North Carolinian living just on the other side of the border in SC in the Charlotte area!

Thanks in advance!