Back up camera issue

Subyrex03

Lifetime Supporting Member
Okay so here is the deal. New to me Wrangler JK with a Pioneer double din head unit previously installed prior to purchusing. I've have bought and installed two different back up camera now and still have a blank screen when in reverse. The screen is black, but has writing on the screen that says "Caution video may appear reversed." I just installed the newest camera this morning and ran the new wiring the way they said to. It's getting power from the reverse wire and has 13.45v and grounded to the frame where another ground was located. Any ideas would be great. I'm getting tired of opening the door to see where I am when backing up. Thanks

Okay so here is the deal. New to me Wrangler JK with a Pioneer double din head unit previously installed prior to purchusing. I've have bought and installed two different back up camera now and still have a blank screen when in reverse. The screen is black, but has writing on the screen that says "Caution video may appear reversed." I just installed the newest camera this morning and ran the new wiring the way they said to. It's getting power from the reverse wire and has 13.45v and grounded to the frame where another ground was located. Any ideas would be great. I'm getting tired of opening the door to see where I am when backing up. Thanks
Have you gone into your settings and turned the backup camera on?

Yes, the camera, the second camera and everything that has to do with the camera! When I turn on the parking assist the lines appear on the screen, but still no actual picture from the camera.

Yes, the camera, the second camera and everything that has to do with the camera! When I turn on the parking assist the lines appear on the screen, but still no actual picture from the camera.
OK. So let's look at your camera wiring...did it come with 12v+ & 12v- for power and then a red wire that is with your yellow AV cable?

No it came with two RCA type plugs. One to the yellow camera plug at the HU the other goes directly to the reverse light wiring and ground. I tapped into the white and grey reverse light wire and a known ground on the body that already had ground wires attached. I tested the power going g to the wire while in reverse and the e-brake on and found 13.45 volts.

IMG_0552.png

So the camera view is set to "On", the Back up camera is set to "On"and the reverse gear setting is set to "Battery." There are no other options in the camera settings except for parking assist.

Hmmmm...your camera needs a 12v source and also a 12v trigger to toggle the camera on and off. What camera did you buy?

Is it possible that it's the unit itself is just malfunctioning? So many stories of DOA electronic products in recent years.

"It was a cheap one from Amazon that has IR"

I would try to power and trigger the camera independently as a test. When I installed the Brandmotion camera in mine I was having a similar problem with no camera feed to the head unit. First thing I did was test the camera with a lead from a small 12V battery I had on hand although you may even be able to use a 9V. I plugged into an old headrest DVD player I had laying around that had an RCA input. That worked fine so I ruled the camera and attached wiring out as an issue. That headrest system has two screens (one for each rear headrest) so I plugged the source into the back of the head unit adapter harness and there was nothing on the head unit screen. I looked closer at the head unit side of the adapter and could see one of the pins was mangled. That was the issue for me. Once the replacement arrived I was good to go.

Since your head unit uses RCAs find something you have to test that side of the feed to the head unit display. DVD player etc. If you can't get that to work then it is something with the head unit. If it works, then it is either the camera, wiring, or trigger. Make sense?