Iowa Anyone in Iowa recognize this Jeep? I'm considering an out of state purchase

Thanks for the confirmation about rust in IA. I think I will pass on that one and wait for something else.

In regards to why someone would forgo the 4.10s, I'm going to guess it was lazy dealers ordering the Recons who didn't realize selecting the Auto transmission changed the gears. The bigger question is why in the world Jeep thought selecting an automatic transmission should force a change in the axle ratio. Especially on a Jeep that was advertised to better accomodate 35" tires with the shorter rock rails and the 4.10 gears. It was a major screw up on Jeeps part.

4.10 gears were standard. It was adding the option of an automatic transmission that screwed it all up. The most riduculous part is you then had to pay an additional fee of $700 to go back to the standard axle ratio. I'm sure some people just kept the 3.73s because they didn't want to spend the $700. I wish I could change them back to 4.10s for that little.

Yours are definitely the nice ones. How is the rust situation in Arkansaw? Maybe I should look down there. Maybe the Recons down there have the lower gears because you have hills.
All manual trans Rubicons come standard with 4.10s...not just recons.

Reactions: Fargo
In regards to why someone would forgo the 4.10s, I'm going to guess it was lazy dealers ordering the Recons who didn't realize selecting the Auto transmission changed the gears. The bigger question is why in the world Jeep thought selecting an automatic transmission should force a change in the axle ratio. Especially on a Jeep that was advertised to better accomodate 35" tires with the shorter rock rails and the 4.10 gears. It was a major screw up on Jeeps part.

I agree on all points.

The option for 4.10 gears was $695 I believe at that point. Why on earth someone would be so stupid as to not order 4.10 gears for $695 extra is beyond me, so it must be a lazy dealer thing.

With my automatic transmission in my JK on 315 KO2 tires, it felt absolutely perfect. If it would have had the 3.73s, I'd be pissed off.

Reactions: mrjp and Starrs
With my automatic transmission in my JK on 315 KO2 tires, it felt absolutely perfect. If it would have had the 3.73s, I'd be pissed off.

Yep, everyone always complains, but my 315s with 4:10s can get up and go if i push that skinny pedal.

Good confirmation that I need the 4.10s. I was almost to the point of accepting 3.73s. But the cost to re-gear is insane.

I've actually started to look at JLs a little. The cost of a JL with similar mileage is only about $2000-$3000 more than a Recon. That price difference is made up by the fact the JLURs can run 35s without any lift. Or a small spacer lift just to lift the belly a little.

Of course at that price you give up leather and steel bumpers and some of the nice features of the Recon. I think the Recon axle is still stronger than the JL as well. Then of course all the electronic components in the JL terrify me. But it is nicer looking in my opinion and I would be running the latest platform so future updates would be easier. Then again, there is all the electronic concerns in the JL...

Its a good thing I have the time to be patient and wait for the right Jeep.

Reactions: mrjp and Chris
Good confirmation that I need the 4.10s. I was almost to the point of accepting 3.73s. But the cost to re-gear is insane.

I've actually started to look at JLs a little. The cost of a JL with similar mileage is only about $2000-$3000 more than a Recon. That price difference is made up by the fact the JLURs can run 35s without any lift. Or a small spacer lift just to lift the belly a little.

Of course at that price you give up leather and steel bumpers and some of the nice features of the Recon. I think the Recon axle is still stronger than the JL as well. Then of course all the electronic components in the JL terrify me. But it is nicer looking in my opinion and I would be running the latest platform so future updates would be easier. Then again, there is all the electronic concerns in the JL...

Its a good thing I have the time to be patient and wait for the right Jeep.
I will say, this is just something to think about, but I saw this while scrolling through IG one day. After doing more research, it doesn’t seem like a uncommon issue on the JLs. It’s right where the tube meets the pumpkin
82CBF5CA-0737-4012-BA05-DE084481C0D9.jpeg

• Face Palm
Reactions: mrjp
I will say, this is just something to think about, but I saw this while scrolling through IG one day. After doing more research, it doesn’t seem like a uncommon issue on the JLs. It’s right where the tube meets the pumpkin
View attachment 118046

Ouch. I had read that the JL has some axle issues but I thought it was at the Front Axle Disconnect (FAD). That is the first picture I have seen of one broken. So what is worse, the JL axle or the JK axle? That is the key point that has me looking for a Recon.

Ouch. I had read that the JL has some axle issues but I thought it was at the Front Axle Disconnect (FAD). That is the first picture I have seen of one broken. So what is worse, the JL axle or the JK axle? That is the key point that has me looking for a Recon.
I have thrashed the crap out of my recon axle and I have zero worries. 😉

I have thrashed the crap out of my recon axle and I have zero worries. 😉
Yeah, I have no worries about the Recon. My concerns would be if I found a deal on an older JK with the standard JK axle. Putting aside the Recon, which is the better axle, the old JK or the JL

Yeah, I have no worries about the Recon. My concerns would be if I found a deal on an older JK with the standard JK axle. Putting aside the Recon, which is the better axle, the old JK or the JL
I would say the JL. It does have a thicker tube than the standard JK if i am not mistaken and surely the JL axle breaking in half is a recall/warrantied issue. Might be something to ask the dealer.