Am I being ripped off for the cost of this lift install?

Sandpirate

Hi, I just bought a 2016 JK Rubicon that was a single owner with 21k miles. Im very new with Jeeps in general and would like to have a lift kit, 18" Wheels, Tires, Smittybilt front bumper and a 12k winch installed. I went to several shops here in Las Vegas and I was quoted over $11k. After picking myself off the ground, it seems that I need to go without a lift and 33" tires which is still being quoted at $5,480. Ive been reading here that people are getting lifts for $2500-2800 installed. I feel these shops see an opportunity to raid my bank account because im not really knowledgeable here. My question is im I just under estimating the real costs or am I being taken to the cleaners. Thanks in advance..

Reactions: Deanimuhl
They are trying to get you. 11k in my min is ridiculous. You can get a good quality lift for around 2,000 and if you are mechanically inclined at all it can be a DIY project over a weekend. If you don't want to do it yourself add say.....1,000 to 1,200 for install (rough estimate and I'm sure someone can correct me on this).

As far as wheels and tires, if you want to stick with 33" tires I would go with a smaller rim than a 18" (kinda just personal preference, but also the more sidewall the better if you want to do real off-roading and will air down). I have pretty expensive wheels and tires on my jeep and they were priced out at around 3k for all 5.

Bumper- I would steer away from Smittybilt. There are much better bumpers out there for a little bit more cost.

A winch you can get for less than a grand easy.

So all in I would say you are at most at 8k. So they are trying to pocket 3k. *this is why i do everything myself*

They are trying to get you. 11k in my min is ridiculous. You can get a good quality lift for around 2,000 and if you are mechanically inclined at all it can be a DIY project over a weekend. If you don't want to do it yourself add say.....1,000 to 1,200 for install (rough estimate and I'm sure someone can correct me on this).

As far as wheels and tires, if you want to stick with 33" tires I would go with a smaller rim than a 18" (kinda just personal preference, but also the more sidewall the better if you want to do real off-roading and will air down). I have pretty expensive wheels and tires on my jeep and they were priced out at around 3k for all 5.

Bumper- I would steer away from Smittybilt. There are much better bumpers out there for a little bit more cost.

A winch you can get for less than a grand easy.

So all in I would say you are at most at 8k. So they are trying to pocket 3k. *this is why i do everything myself*
Thanks for the input, Ill keep looking for another shop.

For my 2016 JK Rubicon I paid $1800 for my AEV lift, $800 for the wheels, and $1200 for the tires. Having it all installed was about $800 (give or take).

That's not including bumpers of course, but that would have at most added another $2000 (even including a winch). Bottom line, those people are trying to take you to the cleaners. Even with the most high end top shelf parts (which Smittybilt is considered very low quality), you wouldn't even be close to 11k.

Reactions: IndominusHuman
Do you have a 4 wheel parts near you? I had them install my wife’s lift and I was happy with their work. I was planning to do it, but I wasn’t sure what kind of work was done with the budget lift that was in it when we bought it. Parts and labor was under $2k for a 2.5” rubicon express lift. Not too of the line, but pretty good quality for what we’ll need. I think install was right around $700. Btw, you can run 33s with no lift.