35s on stock JK Sport

gibbo13jk

I am looking to upgrade the tires on my jeep, I want to go with 35s. I want to know what my real issues are going to be with doing this. I have two sets of rims and I am going to keep the ones on it ready to go back on if it doesn't work. Its a 2013 sport 3.6 manual. I have the Jscan tool, haven't used it yet, to set the change in tire size. This is not a daily driver. Its a fun, nice weather vehicle that I plan on going off road as much as possible. I want it to be a family event for us. I hope to never put the top or doors back on. If the fenders are my only concern, I am planning on changing them out at some point anyway. Maybe curt them first? I have looked at the other threads that say you need a lift, you need gears, the dana 30 is crap? This sounds like a black hole of money.

Second question, are the jeep products (bumpers, fenders, lights, etc) on amazon all crap or can you get good aftermarket products without selling your first born? Not sure he is worth much anyway.

Reactions: plumberdoug
To answer you seriously, owning a Jeep you intend to modify is expensive. You can do things the right way or you can do things the cheap half assed way and exponentially multiply problems you'll have.

What kind of off roading do you intend to do? A stock Jeep can handle all kinds of stuff by itself without the need to bolt new shit all over it.

If all you intend to do is go over hiking trails and stuff like that, just take the top and doors off and enjoy your Jeep. For more detailed advice we need more detailed intentions.

Reactions: tJKrider
Amazon has some decent stuff. If you read the reviews and ignore the 'Vine' (free product) reviews, you can get a feel for the quality of the product. In all honesty, though, if a company makes something that would sell for $500, they aren't likely to go to Amazon and sell it for $100. It all depends on what you plan on doing with the vehicle.
If you plan on travelling back roads and light trails, Amazon stuff looks the part and you'll likely be OK. If you plan on going truly offroad and testing your skills, spending more money makes it less likely you'll be calling a wrecker.

Amazon does sell a few Jeep items that are true brand name and off road tested, but they're not any cheaper than buying from the manufacturer. Smittybilt is one that comes to mind. The rest will last as long as the payments for what you spend. 35s on a stock Jeep is just asking for running gear stuff to fail and they will rub when you flex the suspension.

Alot depends on what gears you have in your Jeep if you have 3.21 gears i'll say no to the 35's unless your driving on flat land all the time and have a manual trans.

Put your VIN number here and it will tell you what gears came Factory.

Reactions: 1o1Proof
I am looking to upgrade the tires on my jeep, I want to go with 35s. I want to know what my real issues are going to be with doing this. I have two sets of rims and I am going to keep the ones on it ready to go back on if it doesn't work. Its a 2013 sport 3.6 manual. I have the Jscan tool, haven't used it yet, to set the change in tire size. This is not a daily driver. Its a fun, nice weather vehicle that I plan on going off road as much as possible. I want it to be a family event for us. I hope to never put the top or doors back on. If the fenders are my only concern, I am planning on changing them out at some point anyway. Maybe curt them first? I have looked at the other threads that say you need a lift, you need gears, the dana 30 is crap? This sounds like a black hole of money.

Second question, are the jeep products (bumpers, fenders, lights, etc) on amazon all crap or can you get good aftermarket products without selling your first born? Not sure he is worth much anyway.

Welcome to the group!! What kind of off roading do you plan on doing? Being a Sport, you probably have 3.21 gears. Not optimal for 35's but doable, depending on your off roading adventures. At full lock you will rub the fenders and the front bumper. The rear will rub the fenders as well when you flex. The dana 30 isn't the best but It is absolutely capable as long as you're not at full throttle going through rocks and being stuck in a mud pit too. Get to know your limits. I'm running stock axles on my dana 30 with 37's but I do have it trussed.

You can definitely find some good Jeep parts on Amazon! I'm a reviews person. Like @SpikesHD said, skip over ALL the vine reviews! They got their 💩 for free. from a 5 star review.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I am looking to upgrade the tires on my jeep, I want to go with 35s.

Some good advice already provided... Since this is your stated goal I'd look into some aftermarket flares or the Mopar High Top Flares if you want to maintain a stock-ish look. From the description:

"Allows For 35" Tires Without a Lift"

Recently there was a set on Marketplace near me for a fraction of the new cost so you could check there too...

My own plan is to never go taller than ~33" on my own ride. Instead of putting $ towards wheels, tires, flares, gears, etc, it will go towards a front locker. Considering the Rubicon is pretty damn capable with 285/70R17s (or even 255/75R17s) I don't think I would ever need more tire. I get that for some it's an aesthetic thing and that's totally cool. Part of the fun of these is making it your own!

Thanks for all the advice. My plan is to start small and work myself into what I may or may not need. I live in wester mass so I need to find trails to tackle. Any advise on the best place to get pointed in the right direction? When I was younger we would just ride in places we probably weren't supposed to with our trucks and jeeps.

I agree that I don't want to buy products that are garbage but I don't want to overpay if it is comparable or slightly less capable. How do you identify "vine" reviews?

Thanks for all the advice. My plan is to start small and work myself into what I may or may not need. I live in wester mass so I need to find trails to tackle. Any advise on the best place to get pointed in the right direction? When I was younger we would just ride in places we probably weren't supposed to with our trucks and jeeps.

I agree that I don't want to buy products that are garbage but I don't want to overpay if it is comparable or slightly less capable. How do you identify "vine" reviews?

You can use an app like AllTrails or just Google OHV trails within driving distance. I wouldn't start actually doing mods until you know what you need, not just what you want.