26th Anniversary Road Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr. Bi-Polar

It was our hope to have reached the Badlands around Oct 1st drive the Sheep Table Mountain trail just in time for the harvest moon. But cloudy skys and brake issues later in the trip dampened our hopes of actually taking any of these pictures.

This all started before the pandemic, where we had plan a trip west to see the harvest moon. But when the pandemic hit, our company wasn't willing to allow us to travel. So we worked through the pandemic. Later we learn that our company submitted a travel list to all employees on which states were off limits. Three times we had to submit our travel plans back to the bosses for approval. If one has never had to do this, it's very difficult to get anything approved by the bosses. We finally got approval for our 3rd route and during our wait, we also got commendations for working through the pandemic. This means the company was going to pay for our 3 week travel as part of our reward for working through the pandemic.

imageedit_3_2104201043.jpg

We started in North eastern Maryland, drove through PA just to get to our first destination in Ohio. We were making a beline to and through Mich because I had contacted a pottery studio and wanted to plan a visit for the wife. But we learn that the artist was going in for surgery and the shop was closed. The route stayed the same.

Day Two/Three:

We based out route on three or four sites, Jet stream, air quality, fall colors and weather pattern. According to the fall color chart, if we continued right up the gut of Mich and turn left parallel with the Canadian board we're surely run into some fall colors and we did. Fortunately, Wisconsin was one of those states we had to avoid or at least not plan a stop over in. We were less than 5 miles from the Canadian boarder and found this dinner that had crispy bacon, fluffy eggs which were to die for. After eating we gassed the Jeep up and made a beline through Wisconsin

One thing we learn about this travel. is don't get a single brand gas card. We happen to have got $500.00 worth of Shell cards, and west of the Mississippi river, the shell stations were few and far between. next time we're getting a prepaid visa card to use just for gas.

imageedit_1_6912493802.jpg

The barn door image was when we entering into a small town and located a grain mill still in operation. The general manager came out and offered us a tour of the mill. The dark road view was one of those lonely roads we travel as major highways are off limits to a jeep wrangler. Little did we know, later in the trip, we would have to drive a few of those major highways just to locate a repair shop.
imageedit_5_3697941484.jpg

This is how we travel, lonely back roads away from the main highways. We just don't like taxing the jeep on those main roads Plus one gets to see America as it should be instead of flashy billboards blocking ones view.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trip was going very smoothly and our planed stops where right on time.. small towns, and fall colors everywhere. We drove approx 10 hours per day excluding any stops for photos. One of my goals was to get to key points of interest during the morning hours or late evening hours.

imageedit_7_9818946888.jpg

Once we finally made it into North Dakota, things changed dramatically.. winds picked up and I was really struggling to keep the jeep on the road. Several times the wind blew so hard I though the jeep would flip. Thanks to all those state troopers for not pulling us over thinking I was drunk.. the jeep was all over the road, and seeing how the route we plan was a truck route also, with ruts or groves in the road and our 11.6 tires couldn't stay in those ruts.

imageedit_9_4248507240.jpg

Just one of those roads we drove on our travels where the hard surfaces ended and gravel picket up.

I now understand why "most" people fly out west instead of drive.. endless flat lands for hours.. But we wouldn't have changed a thing.

imageedit_11_4989201541.jpg

Flat lands had many small towns with rail travel, endless blocks of land with small barns or boarded up homes and it wasn't uncommon for us to travel where the pavement ended.

Day Four/Five

This was going to be our longest drive yet. We had to drive from Independence Falls to Beach North Dakota. This day was going to be a surprise for the wife but it was going to be close as the drive will take us more than 16 hours.. Knowing that the Mich pottery shop closed I had contacted another shop in western North Dakota for a Tour.

Once in Beach, North Dakota I pulled up to Prairie fire pottery shop, fearing that we were too late. it was 6:00 Pm but not realizing we drove through a time zone so it was actually 5:00. We made it time to catch the artist and her husband.

imageedit_13_5055666495.jpg

Yep the wife was surprised and purchase 3 items from the artist. Then we took a tour of the shop. Little did I know that the shop owner had placed a gift bag in the other times we purchased as a happy anniversary gift. The shop tour ended and we had to drive another 2 hours north to our hotel for the night.

imageedit_15_5264092223.jpg

One might notice I've been taking a lot of black & white images. I've been doing this ever since the company gave me an experimental polarization filter. I've tested the filter for color image, but it seem to work better with black & white. But I made sure I took some color image for the wife also.

BTW, The average cost for a hotel while on our travels was $119.00 per night.

Reactions: Locky and mrjp
Day Five/Six

One thing I was not impress with many of these hotels, was that contractor filled up the lots and we couldn't park the jeep close to our window. Then not to mention, many of these hotels didn't have elevators.. I guess it was my poor choice for hotels. The worst hotel was Lander, Wyoming. The best was in Wall, South Dakota.

imageedit_16_4090249989.jpg

Not sure how we end up finding these lonely roads. I guess it's the Offline maps and navigation system we've been using for 4 years.

We drove through Montana for a bit then turned south into Wyoming. Heading for Cody Wyoming, we wanted to travel though Yellowstone for a bit.. but with all the fires in many of these areas we drove, we were left disappointed and not impressed.

imageedit_18_4698514808.jpg

We made it Cody, and stayed near the center of town and wouldn't you guess.. they were doing construction on the main highway.. My arms were growing tired of fighting with the wind while traveling.. At one point they actually went numb. So we stopped at Walmart for a pair of those copperfit gloves which helped my driving and to grip the steering wheel.

Day Six/Seven

The day before we purchased passed to enter Yellowstone and the Tetons. But later I learn we really didn't need to because of the times I wanted to drive into those areas. There's no gate and the gates are only closed for bad weather or rock slides etc.

imageedit_20_7894908626.jpg

One thing about the groups of color images, We tried to avoid those areas where smoke was in the air. But in this image there was a slight haze and smoke on the Tetons that day. This spot was actually crowed with photographers. Some had been there all day. I was only there for 10 mins then back on the road.

imageedit_22_2760512377.jpg

Not as quick as I use to be.. the elk/deer turned it head right when I was setting up for the shot..

Flat land gave away to jagged rocks and ever green trees. I was disappointed in not seeing many hard woods. But this was due to all the fires over the last several years. It's easy to replant a pine tree than it is to replant birch tree. So pine trees littered the hills. Yellowstone was a big disappointment..

Day Seven/Eight

We made it to Wall South Dakota. I couldn't wait, but the forecast called for clouds.. I drove up and down the Badlands looking for shadows and ideal spots for the harvest moon, sunset or sunrise. The harvest moon never happen due to the clouds. But the sun set and rise made for another set of money shots.

imageedit_24_5592313240.jpg

While staying in Wall for three days, we toured Wall drug store and other areas.. again we weren't impressed. We drove to Deadwood, Rapid city and Sturgis South Dakota. Then the unexpected.. at some point while touring these areas.. the rear brakes locked up. it was time to change up our travels and avoid these small town roads.. Heavy braking through traffic took it toll on the jeep.

imageedit_26_6072460529.jpg

It was time to head home. With money being tight, we could afford to have anyone check the rear brakes. But we had an aux plan. One of our stays was in Asheville NC. There my nephew is a mechanic and he told us what was needed, new rotor, pads and brake fluid. Thanks to Napa in the middle of nowhere for being open and having the parts.

imageedit_28_5052934443.jpg

Probably one of the best black & whites I've ever taken and I've already sold 6 large size prints of this image simply known as "Sunset at the Badlands". Ideally, anyone, everyone who travels to badlands or painted hills wants to see the colors. It's not what you would expect to see. Most images of these places have been digital enhanced and added colors. Oh there are colors in these placed, like the Yellow mounds of badlands.. but it's not as "spectacular" as photographers would have you believe.

Day Nine/Ten

I've always hated driving the jeep above 65mph.. but in order for us to get from point A to B (Asheville, NC) the fastest yet use our reserved hotels, we had to get on a few major highways.. I couldn't believe the speeds on these roads.. 70mph on these roads as we drove 65mpg. I just didn't want to over tax the jeep let alone the winds were still causing issues with me keeping the jeep on the road.

Several times I felt that the hood would fly up and hit the windshield because a truck passed us which made the hood flutter. Fortunately, I've install the tuffy hood lock years ago. At or about this time, The jeep window got cracked.. I'm like what else will go wrong..

imageedit_5_7997488675.jpg

Sight seeing and stops where cut as we just wanted to get to the nephews house in Asheville. One of these stops for gas, I noticed an old church atop this hill. We drove up there and I was able to find a broken window to look in. I was able to locate an open window where I noticed an old pipe organ.

imageedit_7_8677104538.jpg

Welp, Back on the road we drove. About this time while at one of the major gas stations, a couple of truck drivers came over to look at the jeep. They claim that they have the half top on their unlimited, but couldn't find the windjammer so they used the wind jammer from a 2 wrangler and installed it on the 4 door. Sure it's tight, but it worked for them until they seen the Rampage Trailview. They started taking pictures of the jeep and getting all the info.

Reactions: Locky
So we made it to my Nephews house in Asheville, NC with all the parts needed to repair the jeep.

Total of 18 days on the road
Drove through 16 National Forest
Total miles: 6030
Average hotel stay $119.00
Worse Hotel: Roadway, Pronghorn, Lander, Wyoming
Best Hotel: Best Western, Wall, South Dakota

Note: Many of these hotels in Ohio, Mich, West Virginia had lot lizards or homeless hanging around which did not sit right with us and I'll be submitting a few complaints via email to those hotels shortly.

Enjoyed our trip?.. I'm on the cusp there was some good and bad, long driving times, but many of the images I took are what I was hoping for. I was disappointed at Yellowstone, Not finding some of those locations all the wild fires and chard wood everywhere. Plus not being able to drive the sheep table Mountain trail.

Would we do it again?.. Sure, why not but this time, we'll have to think about our driving times, and our stop overs. driving 10 hours, then resting for the night then driving again during extreme windy weather wore me out.

As for how much gas was used.. all of the shell gas cards are gone ($500.00 worth) and we've yet to tally up how much cash was used where the shell card couldn't. I think we'll head into Canada once they open the boarders again.

See you next year for our Epic 27th Anniversary Road Trip!

imageedit_9_5960285510.jpg

Early morning driving home on the blue ridge parkway.

Status
Not open for further replies.