2016 JKU - CHMSL - third brake light stopped working

grunt78

Hi Guys, I am new to the site. First post. Sorry if this is the wrong section.
I have a issue that I am hoping someone might be able to shed some light on for me.

I have a 2016 JKU, The Third brake light stopped working. I have checked the M1 fuse and saw no issues, swapped out with another 15amp one.
I bought a replacement OE light from Ebay and swapped it out, (still not working). I went to the autoparts store and bought a Brakelight switch and swapped that out, (Still not working). I tried to look for any problems with the the wires and followed it back to the inside panel in trunk and saw no obvious cuts and wear. I am completely stumped now as to what is going on. Does anyone know of anything else I should check? I have google searched and all issues point to one of the above three issues. I am hoping someone might know of something else to check.

Thanks

Grunt

Have you checked the lamp socket for any voltage getting to the light?
If there is no voltage getting there, I would think a code would have showed.
When/before you installed the new brake light switch, did you check for voltage on either side of the switch?

From what I've read, the majority of worn wiring issues seem to occur at the pass thru from the body into the tailgate

Reactions: mrjp and Dirty Dog
Have you checked the lamp socket for any voltage getting to the light?
If there is no voltage getting there, I would think a code would have showed.
When/before you installed the new brake light switch, did you check for voltage on either side of the switch?

From what I've read, the majority of worn wiring issues seem to occur at the pass thru from the body into the tailgate
Thank you for responding. Just did some more testing. No Power to the plug in the tailgate. No codes at all. Pulled the M1 Fuse and no power to the Volt meter in that socket with brake depressed or not depressed. So leading me that there is a short somewhere between the fusebox and the tailgate. Ugggh. I really dont want to tear apart my wiring to find this. I am not an electrician by any means and I know if I take it in somewhere it will be like chasing gremlins $$$$$.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mrjp
Did you ever get this sorted out??
I have what looks to be the same problem, only i have power to the M1 fuse holder, just no power to the rear wiring harness for the CHMSL

Eould really appreciate hearing how you fixed this.

Weird brake light function is a typical symptom of a TIPM failure or a mixed up programming parameter in the ECU - most likely caused by an attempt to modify the DRL settings.
That's what caused my brake light issues. Once I returned the DRL settings back to factory, everything worked just fine.
Don't ask me why Jeep hired a nuclear physicist to make a brake light circuit.

Reactions: BigAL07