2015 JKU with codes P0203 and P0303

Sterns

About a week ago our ‘15 JKU with only 40k miles threw these 2 codes referring to cyl 3 misfire and fuel injector open circuit. We took it into a mechanic the next day and by the time we got there 3 miles away it was no longer misfiring. He kept it for the whole day and was not able to reproduce the problem after resetting the codes. He also checked and reseated coil wiring. So we took it home and was told to bring it again when it happens again. We’ve now had it for a week and have determined this much:

• when we start it first thing in the morning it will always misfire and log these 2 codes, the Jeep shakes and you can tell it’s running on 5 cyl.
  • We can drive it for 1-3 miles and the shaking stops. I then erase the codes and I can keep driving it all day long without it misfiring again.
  • if I let it sit for 4-5 hours it will misfire again on first start, and the cycle repeats, it goes away in 1-3 miles.

This behavior has been very consistent, but it goes away too soon to even allow me to take it back to the shop, by the time I would get there it would be fine.

it appears to be something maybe caused by moisture or by the engine being cold. I don’t think it’s intermittent wiring as it never misfires once it been reset after warmup.

Has anyone experienced similar behavior? Could a failing injector or coil experience this consistent behavior, I’m having doubts. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated it.

Check for loose wires or a loose connection. Also clean your grounds and the battery connections

Reactions: BLACKJKU
About a week ago our ‘15 JKU with only 40k miles threw these 2 codes referring to cyl 3 misfire and fuel injector open circuit. We took it into a mechanic the next day and by the time we got there 3 miles away it was no longer misfiring. He kept it for the whole day and was not able to reproduce the problem after resetting the codes. He also checked and reseated coil wiring. So we took it home and was told to bring it again when it happens again. We’ve now had it for a week and have determined this much:
- when we start it first thing in the morning it will always misfire and log these 2 codes, the Jeep shakes and you can tell it’s running on 5 cyl.
- We can drive it for 1-3 miles and the shaking stops. I then erase the codes and I can keep driving it all day long without it misfiring again.
- if I let it sit for 4-5 hours it will misfire again on first start, and the cycle repeats, it goes away in 1-3 miles.
This behavior has been very consistent, but it goes away too soon to even allow me to take it back to the shop, by the time I would get there it would be fine.
it appears to be something maybe caused by moisture or by the engine being cold. I don’t think it’s intermittent wiring as it never misfires once it been reset after warmup.
Has anyone experienced similar behavior? Could a failing injector or coil experience this consistent behavior, I’m having doubts. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated it.
Firstly ... I shall conclude that your mechanic confirmed no evidence of a poor/bad/broken connection in your ignition system ... especially cyl 3. I also doubt that both electrical and fuel problems are "happening" at the same time ... in the same hole. I suggest that you switch cyl 3 coil with another. If the new fault code(s) are still cyl 3 ... switch plug 3 with another. If the new code(s) are still cyl 3 ... you can now focus on "fuel" ... which could still be an electrical problem ... like the connection to #3 injector.
Kelly Adams