2015 JKU Undercarriage Protection

Ricodylan13

Hey all,

As winter approaches here in the Northeast, I am looking to get my undercarriage treated for already formed rust and protected from further rusting.

I was originally planning on going to a local shop (RMS Offroad - Long Island) to get NHOU (New Hampshire Oil Undercoating) applied. I don't really have the means to do it myself so I don't mind paying for someone to do it, also the shop will re-spray every year for a discounted price.

I want to know what you all feel about NHOU or oil undercoating's in general. I feel like this is the best option for me given that I already have some rust formed underneath. I understand that I may need to remove some rust prior to getting it sprayed but I was hoping the shop will do that if possible.

I'm not interested in rubberized coatings as they just trap existing moisture. So please let me know the pros and cons of oil undercoating and if you recommend it. I'm a little concerned about having oil all over my frame and suspension components but it seems like this is the cheapest and easiest. I don't think I need POR-15 as there isn't a ton of rust formed already.

Thanks in advance
Eric

I undercoated mine with Fluid Film and pretty amazed how awesome the product works. I'm going to spray the inside of the frame probably this weekend so its ready for winter.

Do you have any issues with road debris build-up? I drive on the beaches alot and am concerned about stuff sticking to it and making general maintenance a hassle because of the oily mess.

I'm also curious as to how well the FF sticks to the surface. Can I powerwash down the undercarriage and still have fluid film stick?

Fluid Film seems like the best option but I am just concerned with the apparent "messiness" of the product.

Buy a second vehicle because even if you coat it, that rust will get to it over time. (y)
Well wouldn't that be fantastic, unfortunately everyone can't just go out and buy a second vehicle...especially me lol

I'm aware that rust is inevitable but there are several products out there that greatly reduce the spread and protect it down the line. I posted this to get people's opinions on these products and how they protect their own vehicles.

Reactions: BigAL07 and Chris
Buy a second vehicle because even if you coat it, that rust will get to it over time. (y)
I've a friend in Maine who always runs two vehicles. One is his warm weather car and the other for cold. As the salt on the roads has its way with the metal over time the winter car goes to a wrecker, the summer graduates to winter, and a nice, new vehicle starts serving summers.

I've a friend in Maine who always runs two vehicles. One is his warm weather car and the other for cold. As the salt on the roads has its way with the metal over time the winter car goes to a wrecker, the summer graduates to winter, and a nice, new vehicle starts serving summers.

That's the way to do it (y)