2013 JK single buck while accelerating into 3rd or 4th gear

buffbob JK

Howdee- 2013 JK started occasionally bucking (single buck) while accelerating into 3rd or 4th gear. Subsequently, I then lost all power and acceleration while at the same time the Electronic Throttle Control, Electronic Stability Control and ABS lights illuminated. Lost almost all power in 1st gear but was able to "re-start" after turning off engine and restarting. I don't recall the "engine Light illuminating. Just prior to this happening I had a Speed Sensor (and barring) replaced. I took the JK to my shop. They checked "everything" including possible wiring issue. Nothing found. They suggested taking to a local jeep dealer to possibly "update computer software". Earlier, I searched several forums and saw at least 3 possible problems and communicated these to the repair shop- nothing identified. Please consider responding with any feedback. I really want to avoid taking my JK to a dealer for diagnostics unless absolutely necessary. Thanks!
bobJK13 2024

Do you still have the junk Factory battery clamps on they are a poor design and should be replaced with some HD ones. Poor dirty grounds are the biggest cause of electrical problems.

Reactions: JeepJeezy
Do you still have the junk Factory battery clamps on they are a poor design and should be replaced with some HD ones. Poor dirty grounds are the biggest cause of electrical problems.
Thank you. The "battery connections" are a chief culprit per discussions. Although, mine seam "clean" and well connected. Recommend replacing pos and neg clamps as a safeguard?

Reactions: JeepJeezy
Thank you. The "battery connections" are a chief culprit per discussions. Although, mine seam "clean" and well connected. Recommend replacing pos and neg clamps as a safeguard?

Yes if it was mine i'd replace them with anything better then they are, not saying 100% that's your problem but it's been proven by other Members they do cause electrical problems.

The ESC lights are usually from a bad wheel speed sensor, a bad wheel bearing or the steering wheel not centered.

The bucking if the CEL isn't coming on could be some bad gas, maybe some water in it. Try some Heet in the fuel tank to see if that helps any.