2013 JK Preventive Maintenance

Brightwhite

I purchased a 2013 2-door JK with 91,000 a few months ago. It was basically stock and in excellent condition. I have been cleaning it up and replacing normal wear items. The previous owner swears he changed the oil and filter every 5,000 miles. The engine sounds great and I put Mobil 1 in shortly after I got it. I put about 1,000 miles on it and oil still looks fresh and is right up on the dipstick. I put new brakes all around, new shocks, new soft top and half doors and I have changed the oil cooler, spark plugs, PCV valve and all the fluids except the coolant hence my questions. I have 2 gallons of MOPAR OAT coolant which I was going to change along with a new thermostat, upper and lower radiator hose and serpentine belt. Considering the mileage, would it be a good idea to replace the belt tensioner, idler pulleys and water pump? I plan on driving the Jeep to Jamboree in Tennessee next May and do not want to have any surprises. Since this is my first Jeep, I don't know how long those parts are supposed to last.

Belt tensioner will "chirp" when its about to fail. These jeeps mechanical engines are well designed that you might need it checked (not replaced) when it reaches 250k mark.

The electronics however.... jeep is not up to par so worry more on the electronic sensors rather than the mechanical parts.

Last edited:
Those aren't things that usually fail very often, especially not at 91k miles.

However, at the same time, it's not going to hurt to replace them, I can tell you that. If I was in there I would do it simply for peace of mind.

With these things though, it's usually the electronic sensors that fail before anything mechanical.

Reactions: mrjp