2013 electrical 'reboot' while driving

TahoeJim

Posting in case anybody else has seen this and can help me solve quickly.
My 2013 JKU will randomly lose all electrcial power for a second while driving, then get power back.
A dash tone sounds, and power to the instrument cluster is lost (gauges drop to zero), drops out of cruise control, ABS and traction control light flashes on... all just for a second. As fast as it happens, power is back, and gauges come back, warning lights are off, etc.
This happened a dozen times on the first half of my drive home from Tahoe this morning (relatively smooth highway). Second half, uneventful.
Searching forum everyone is recommending checking on ground connections which I will do but if this sounds familiar to someone I'd love to hear how you solved it!

Got me wondering if it was indeed loose or corroded connection(s) and not something more complex.....hope that OP chines back with good news, as info like this could be very helpful to forum users.

Check your ECU grounds also.
Engine block grounding locations, passenger-side fender locations, battery grounds and firewall grounding locations.

Reactions: Duster
I am dealing with a similar issue now. Its possibly a connection issue somewhere between the firewall and TIPM. Sounds likethe TIPM went into failsafe mode. Ive been chasing this problem 7 yrs. I just installed my 3rd TIPM, and now it's got a short somewhere!

• Wow
Reactions: Threepointsix
Had this same thing happen to me when my battery almost exploded. My issue ended up being the alternator overcharging due to a bad ground on the PCM.

I am dealing with a similar issue now. Its possibly a connection issue somewhere between the firewall and TIPM. Sounds likethe TIPM went into failsafe mode. Ive been chasing this problem 7 yrs. I just installed my 3rd TIPM, and now it's got a short somewhere!
If anyone has a wiring diagram to share,for an 08 Wrangler I would be most grateful! Oh, any advice on where to start chasing a potential short between the ignition and the TIPM.
Thanks
Tom (Miami area)

Reactions: Threepointsix
Posting in case anybody else has seen this and can help me solve quickly.
My 2013 JKU will randomly lose all electrcial power for a second while driving, then get power back.
A dash tone sounds, and power to the instrument cluster is lost (gauges drop to zero), drops out of cruise control, ABS and traction control light flashes on... all just for a second. As fast as it happens, power is back, and gauges come back, warning lights are off, etc.
This happened a dozen times on the first half of my drive home from Tahoe this morning (relatively smooth highway). Second half, uneventful.
Searching forum everyone is recommending checking on ground connections which I will do but if this sounds familiar to someone I'd love to hear how you solved it!
Hi
I had similar problems. I rebuilt TIPM but it was ultimately a shorted wire and bad instrument cluster. $3000 (this time) and it has happened 1 time since.
The mechanic so far has not told me what wire was shorted but warranties the “fix” for 1 yr.
Anyone willing to trade me an 80’s era Jeep for my 08 Wrangler?Seriously?
Best
Tom

• Face Palm
Reactions: mrjp