2012 never had cylinder head work

clinter36

So, I recently purchased this 2012 JKU with 105K miles. I was not aware of the cylinder head issue when purchasing - not that it would have changed my mind. I called my local dealer and they checked the service history of the vehicle and it appears that no cylinder head work has been done. At least not under warranty.

The 10yr extended warranty runs out Oct 17th.

Should I start to worry about this issue or is it likely that at 105k miles it would have had the issue by now and its probably fine ??

I am thinking at the very least, in a month or two, I should take it to the dealer and pay them to check the engine and make sure it does not have any issues related to the cylinder head starting to develop.

I don't have much history with this truck, so I am not likely to notice as much of a change in sound or power, etc. I have read about misfire codes and ticking sounds (valve train issues)...

Thanks
clint

The cyl head failures I've read about have all been early in the production run and occur well before 50k let alone 100k miles.

Go ahead and get it checked out by reputable dealer, but at your mileage I would expect more issues with the oil cooler or water pump than with the head at this point.

However, I'm not a mechanic and I don't play one on TV ;)

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Why worry yourself? If its not broke, there's nothing to fix. Enjoy it.

Just make sure you keep up with oil changes. I had two mechanics tell me to get on it every 5k and not wait on the engine light. Lucky for us, oil changes are a breeze on the JK's.

Inserting a very interesting read I found on 'Dealers vs independent mechanic' —

Reactions: Danarch