2012 JKU regear issues

Agoss8157

Hey guys, I had my Jeep regeared last year to 4.88's before my trip to Moab. I'm running Cooper STT Pro 37's and my Jeep constantly searches for the right gear. I have the Superchips TD2 and Hikeit throttle controller. I've reset the TD2 back to stock settings with the tire size accounted for and I run my Hikeit on AU for now. What am I doing wrong for my Jeep to constantly be searching for the right gear. It also down shifts alot on flat ground and slight inclines. Would 5.13's solve my main issues?

I would verify with GPS that your speedometer is calibrated 100% to the GPS speed. Sounds like that's the problem to me.

What are the RPMs looking like (generally) when it feels the need to downshift? Using the standard .12 x 37= 4.44, I'd think a 4.56 would be plenty?
Also, does the Hikeit have settings for off-road vs. highway?

Reactions: JerryD
I would remove the throttle controller from the equation for troubleshooting purposes. 4.88's with 37's sounds a little short with a 3.6 & an automatic transmission.

Is a throttle controller's mode settings effected by a change in gearing or tire size or does it adjust when flashed?
If so, does the controller need to be connected when the tire sizes and/or regearing changes are flashed or does it simply pick up what the ECU tells it?

Reactions: Agoss8157
What are the RPMs looking like (generally) when it feels the need to downshift? Using the standard .12 x 37= 4.44, I'd think a 4.56 would be plenty?
Also, does the Hikeit have settings for off-road vs. highway?
At 65 mph, I'm running around 2600+ rpm in 5th gear. It down shifts alot and it registers 4500+ rpm at 60ish in 3rd gear. The Hikeit has several settings from sport, towing, auto, eco and so on and my TD2 has several built in programs. Right now it's programmed t factory mode and auto mode on the Hikeit. I've got a buddy who has a 2012 JKU CoD MW3 just like mine but with 5.13's; he says his hardly ever has to shift down for highway driving.

Is a throttle controller's mode settings effected by a change in gearing or tire size or does it adjust when flashed?
If so, does the controller need to be connected when the tire sizes and/or regearing changes are flashed or does it simply pick up what the ECU tells it?
Everything was reprogrammed when the gears were installed including the actual tire size a gear ratios.

I'm fairly certain that these throttle controllers are only adjusting the signal to the ECU. Essentially dumb boxes with a single job of modifying the signal. They should have no effect on shift points, but I have a manual so I can't verify that. The 9-drive effects the actual pedal down to go forward much more than I expected for $55

I'm fairly certain that these throttle controllers are only adjusting the signal to the ECU. Essentially dumb boxes with a single job of modifying the signal. They should have no effect on shift points, but I have a manual so I can't verify that. The 9-drive effects the actual pedal down to go forward much more than I expected for $55
Yes, you are correct. The Hikeit only affects the throttle signal. But, my SuperChips TD2 is an actual programmer, vehicle monitor, Diagnostic reader and much more all in 1 unit. When I drove my Jeep from North Alabama to Moab (1600 miles one-way), it wanted to stay in 4th gear more than 70% of the trip. Every time it would go into to 5th, it didn't stay very long. And it constantly changes gears now, but I do live in North Alabama where we have alot of hilly/small mountain driving. But I would expect my Jeep to stay on 5th longer on the interstate with the 4.88's. It often shifts down to 3rd at highway speeds and it is screaming.

Right now it's programmed t factory mode and auto mode on the Hikeit.
When you say "factory mode," do you know if that means it's attempting to run the JK as it came from the factory? In other words, is factory mode seeing 3.73 or whatever the original gearing was, or is it seeing the new gears?

I think there's some conflict between the TD2 and the Hikeit.

Ah I missed that you have a programmer. Those can certainly mess with your shift points.

This still feels to me like something is wrong with the settings.
Did you do the gear ratio and tire size programming or did someone else do it and you are just trusting that they did it correctly? Regardless I would double check. Does your programmer allow you do to that?
If it doesn't time to get Jscan.

Reactions: mrjp