2012 JKU out of fuel at 1/4 on Gauge

BusinessSalesMagnet

5 days ago I drove home from dealer with a new to me 2012 JKU.
The next day I ran errands with it and ran out of fuel at 1/4 on Gauge.
Dealer says it never happened to him, offering no help.
No warranty on used vehicles in Florida unless I am missing a law I don't know about.
I put SEA FOAM into see if that will help.
Filled up today and set trip meter to zero so I can see how long to empty and where the gas gauge sits when it runs out.
I don't love the idea of running it out while driving, and I expect it will run out between 200 and 420 miles range.
I plan to carry a jerry can with me.
If anyone has some experience to share- feel free.
side.png

I appreciate the input. Stinks to have to pay for something undisclosed and it shows up within 24 hours. Florida has Sold As-is stickers on vehicles at dealers normally - but not at this dealer I bought from, so I did look to see what laws could apply. If it runs out of fuel before empty again- fixing It will have to be on my to do list.

The Jerry can and run it till it's empty and fill it up with 5 gallons is a smart idea. At least it will tell you how many miles you can go on a full tank. If it's your daily driver style driving then it's not a big priority. Once you get within 100 miles of that empty refill it. It's not a solution, but it's a good practice until you get it repaired. I bet if you look at YouTube you will find some easy drop down tank procedures and my suggestion would be to drain the tank as far as it can go. I think it's a job. You can do it yourself. I don't think Jeep has a setup where you can access the top of the gas tank from inside. I know Volkswagen Jetta you could take the back seat out bench and you could have access right there to the top of the can gas can to replace any sending units or such.

Reactions: mrjp