2012 Jeep Wrangler won't start

Djay

I was having issues with my key for my Jeep. I’d hit the unlock button and the car would lock instead. Finally it unlocked but then I couldn’t get the car to start. After sitting for a bit it started but after parking again it wouldn’t start and the automatic unlock and lock wouldn’t work. I replaced the battery in the key and still the car won’t start. Tried giving the battery a boost with no luck. The key was working with the new battery but at one point the unlock button was again locking the car instead. Then the car also beeped locked when I didn’t even touch the key. Could this be a battery issue or electronic issue? Thoughts?

Is it throwing any codes? If so, what are they?

Is it a new key(s)? If so, they won't start the vehicle for more than a few seconds unless they are programmed to the vehicle, as the keys have chip transponders inside of them.

It’s the original keys. When the car first wouldn’t start the red dot code appeared for a little bit. But most of the time I try it no codes show.

Those transponder chips in the keys can fail over time. It makes me wonder if your transponder went bad.

Do you have more than one key you can test it with?

I’ve read about it possible being the WCM. We tried unplugging the fuse to reset it but no luck.

Last edited:
Have you tried doing a reset with the battery by disconnecting the cables for a short time?