2010 JK Clutch Master Cylinder Problem

Juneau Jeep Guy

Okay. This problem has happened twice. The clutch master cylinder cable that attaches to the clutch foot pedal popped off one day, about a year ago. I got up under there and snapped it back on. But, it occurred a couple of more times, which let me know for sure that it was defective, and not just a "fluke". I thought I could just buy a new, small part to replace the female part that snaps over the clutch pedal "nipple shaft". But as it turns out, I had to buy the whole clutch master cylinder (for a hundred bucks) to acquire the new "snap on" part. So, I did the replacement by myself which was a chore indeed. But I got the new one in, and snapped the cable end on to the clutch foot pedal. And then, I ferried my little Rubicon over to a nearby Alaskan island to hunt deer with my son on some very rough logging roads. This is also an island where the largest concentration of brown bears live. The hunt went well, we shot a few deer, and no brown bears ate us. AND my Jeep was awesome and performed just like she was built for. It was an awesome four day outing, deep into some amazing Alaskan wilderness.

Upon arriving back in Juneau, the daggone clutch cable popped off again, only a few days after getting back! Well, thank God it didn't happen while out on those logging roads. AND SO, I snapped it back on to the clutch pedal, and then jury rigged it with a couple of zip ties which is VERY difficult for me to do. I'm a big guy, and there is very little room to work up under there. In fact, I finally had my much smaller son do it, and, the zip ties have held for about 8 months, but finally they stretched out to where the cable popped off again. AND SO:

1. Has anyone else had this problem? I suspect that the answer is "yes".

2.) Since the new clutch master cylinder had been in place for only a month and then popped off again, could it be that the steel on the tiny nub of a shaft that it clips onto has worn to the point that it won't hold anymore?

3.) I have posted a photo of the clutch master cylinder, and it is on the lower left end of the photo where the PLASTIC "clip on" end of the cable is.

4.) Man, I need help on this. Anybody?

Jeep Master Cylinder Cable 2.jpg

Yes I spent about 3 days messing around with mine, my line popped out 3 times when I was trying to bleed it. I made a clamp out of some scrap metal to hold the hose in the Master Cylinder and it's not coming out again.

Yes I spent about 3 days messing around with mine, my line popped out 3 times when I was trying to bleed it. I made a clamp out of some scrap metal to hold the hose in the Master Cylinder and it's not coming out again.
Oh, but I'm talking about the other end of the clutch master cylinder, not the hose. With the hose, so far, so good. But thanks for the response!

Oh, but I'm talking about the other end of the clutch master cylinder, not the hose. With the hose, so far, so good. But thanks for the response!

I thought you was talking about the hose that runs from the master to the slave cylinder. That's the one I was talking about, the short rubber one was a piece of cake compared to the rest of the job.

Well, that's my thinking at this point, especially when it popped back off after being very new. So, I'll have to take the clutch/brake pedal assembly out to give it a further inspection and probably replace that. I was really hoping that there would be a lot of people who have experienced this problem and that there would a nice simple fix that I'm yet unaware of, lol! But, you know how that goes sometimes. It surely seems like a serious Mickey Mouse rig the way they built it, that's for sure. My 96 F-150 has a similar shaft on which the clutch cable is attached, and guess what? It has a hole on the shaft and a cotter pin and washer which keeps it in place. But Jeep had to use a "clip on" plastic doo dad. Roll eyes...

My 96 F-150 has a similar shaft on which the clutch cable is attached, and guess what? It has a hole on the shaft and a cotter pin and washer which keeps it in place.
I've had other Ford vehicles with this setup so I'm familiar with it... I'm new to the Jeep game but currently have an auto. Surprising it wouldn't have some form of positive lock. Crazy!